Edit, pause, or remove a remarketing list
After you've created and tested your remarketing list, you can edit it if you want to make sure your products or services are reaching the right audience. You can also pause an ad group from targeting your list or remove a remarketing list from an ad group.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. Note, automatic targeting is only available in the new Google Ads experience.
Edit a list
You can make certain types of changes to your remarketing list after you've created it. For example, you can edit the name of the list, change the membership duration, or close the list. Here's how:
- Click the Campaigns tab.
- Click Shared library.
- Click Audiences.
- Place your cursor over the part of the list (remarketing or custom combination) that you want to edit.
- Change the list's name, description, status (open/closed), duration, and conditions, by either clicking the pencil icon or the field of the item that you want to change.
- If you want to stop new cookies from being added to a remarketing list, you can close the list at any time from the drop-down menu in the "Membership status" column. Closed lists still appear as available remarketing lists on the "Interests & remarketing" tab. Other targeting methods (or remarketing lists) in the same ad group will work as usual.
- Make your edits and click Save.
Keep in mind
- You can't change the remarketing list template after you've saved your list.
- When you edit a list, you don't need to implement the remarketing tag on your site again.
- If you change the membership duration after a list has already accumulated visitors or users, the new duration is applied to all current and future visitors or users on the list. For example, if your duration is 60 days, and you shorten it to 30 days, anyone who joined the list 31 - 60 days ago will be removed. If your duration is 30 days and you extend it to 60 days, anyone already on the list will stay on the list for up to 60 days.
- If you created your remarketing lists in Google Analytics, you'll need to edit them there instead of in AdWords.
Pause an ad group from targeting a list
You can pause an ad group from targeting a list but still allow the list to have new visitors added to it. Here's how:
- For "Display Network only" campaigns, click the Display Network tab or Interests & remarketing tab. For "Search Network with Display Select" or "Search Network only" campaigns, click the Audiences tab.
- Point your cursor to the green dot next to the list you want to pause. A drop-down arrow appears.
- Click the arrow and select "Paused."
If you want to pause more than one list at once, you can select the checkboxes next to the lists and select "Pause" from the "Edit" drop-down menu above the table.
Pausing your list is different from closing your list because a closed list doesn't have new users added to it.
Remove a list from an ad group
You can remove a remarketing list from an ad group. Here's how:
- Go to your Display Network campaign.
- Click the Display Network tab.
- Click +Targeting.
- Select your ad group.
- In the "Interests & remarketing" box, click the pencil icon.
- Next to the remarketing list you'd like to remove, click the X.
- Click Save.