To show dynamic ads to people who have visited your site, add the global site tag and dynamic remarketing event snippet. The global site tag can be pasted as-is into all the pages across your site, and enables basic remarketing features in Google Ads. The event snippet collects data about specific actions related to products or services that are then matched with your data feed, and used to create ads for dynamic remarketing. The data collected using the event snippet will vary according to your business type.
This article is part of the dynamic remarketing for web set-up guide. It contains detailed instructions on how to set up your tag for dynamic remarketing. Read About dynamic remarketing for apps if you want to set up your app.
Before you begin
If you're not familiar with your website's code, consider working with a web developer or someone with a technical background. You can also review common issues with code formatting.
The dynamic remarketing event snippet collects data, such as the IDs of the products or services that people viewed on your website and the total value of items. Google Ads uses this data to show customized ads to your website visitors, and remind them about their visit to your site. Here's how to set this up:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under “Shared library” click Audience manager.
- From the page menu on the left click Audience sources.
- In the Google Ads tag card, click Set up tag.
- If you already set up a Google Ads tag, you can edit the tag by clicking the 3-dot menu and then Edit.
- Select “Collect specific attributes or parameters to personalize ads”.
- This option is also known as “Dynamic remarketing” and allows you to show ads to people on your remarketing lists based on their activity on your site or app.
- Select the business types that represent your products and services
- Business type is used to tell your tags to collect information about activity on your website that's specific to your business type. If your business type isn’t listed, select “Other (custom option)".
- Select the business type parameters you’d like to track.
- Click Create and continue.
- When the installation screen appears, your global site tag and event snippet will be ready for use. You can copy the code, use Tag Manager, download the tag, or email the tag to a webmaster.
- To integrate remarketing into your site, copy the code and paste it between the <head></head> tags of the website.
- The global site tag must be added into every page of your site. The event snippet only needs to be added to certain pages to measure remarketing events, such as product pages, shopping cart pages, or purchase confirmation pages. Learn more about event parameters for each business type
- Click Done.
Track events for your business type
For detailed instructions about how to populate the event snippet for your business type, read how to Use event parameters for your business type.
Updating your tag
The example below, shows the parameters for the "Retail" business type. You'll need to use the correct event parameter names (such as 'id') for your business type. See all of the event parameters by vertical
Disable the collection of remarketing data
You can choose to disable the collection of remarketing data for users who do not wish to view personalized ads by using the parameter: allow_ad_personalization_signals. Learn how to modify the global site tag in order to disable the collection of remarketing data for specific users.