Create custom columns
Why use custom columns?
Custom columns offer a convenient solution if you’re interested in seeing only part of the data for a metric. Custom columns also allow you to make your own metric based on existing metrics in Google Ads. Here’s an example: Matthew’s business uses a metric called “Mobile share of clicks,” which is defined as mobile clicks divided by total clicks. There's no column for this in the Campaigns page, so Matthew decides to create his own custom column:
- First, he names the column “Mobile clicks” and adds a description, “This column calculates mobile clicks divided by total clicks.” The description will help other users on his account understand what the column displays.
- Then, he selects the Clicks metric and adds the Device > Mobile phones segment to it so it only shows clicks from mobile devices.
- He adds ÷ and adds the Clicks metric again, which represents the total number of clicks.
- Finally, he saves the new column.
Now Matthew can view this metric in the Campaigns page any time he needs to.
How to create a custom column
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the left page menu, click Campaigns, Ad groups, Ads & Extensions, or Keywords.
- Note: In the “Ads & extensions” page, make sure you have selected “Ads” at the top of the page.
- In the upper right corner of the table, click the columns icon , then select Modify columns.
- Click the Custom columns section, then click New column.
- Provide the following information for your column:
- Enter a name that will be used as the column header.
- Enter a description of the column that you’ll see when you hover over the column header.
- Click + Metric, then select a metric such as clicks or impressions. For some metrics, you can narrow down the metric data by segment. For example, to show only clicks from mobile devices, select Clicks as your metric. Then, in the “Segment” section that appears on the right, click Device and select Mobile phones.
- Use the math operators to create your column conditions, and choose the formatting of the column contents: Number, Percent, or Currency. For example, to calculate the percentage of mobile clicks in a campaign, select Clicks with the segment “Mobile phones” as your first metric. Then, click the ÷ operator, and select Clicks as your second metric. Finally, choose Percent as the column format.
- When you’ve finished entering column information, click Save. You’ll be taken back to the “Modify columns” page.
- Select your new custom column, then click Apply to view it in the statistics table.
Just like standard Google Ads columns, custom columns can be filtered, sorted, downloaded, and used to customize your performance summary chart above your statistics table. Learn how to customize your tables and charts.