Add demographic targeting to an ad group
With demographic targeting in Google Ads, you can reach customers who are likely to be within the demographic groups that you choose. For example, if your business caters to a specific set of customers within a particular group, you can show your ads to customers according to their gender, age group, parental status, or household income range.
In this article, we’ll walk you through how to focus your ads to target customers in certain demographic groups.
How demographic targeting affects who sees your ads
When you use demographic targeting, we’ll show your ads based on demographic information that we estimate or get from website publishers or Google profiles. If you limit your targeting to certain demographic groups, your ads may reach a more limited audience. Learn more about how Google determines demographic information.
Before you begin
You can add demographic targeting to your ad groups in Google Ads Search Network, Display Network, or Video campaigns. To learn more about how demographic targeting works, read About demographics targeting.
Note that Detailed Demographics such as homeownership and education are available as audiences. Learn more about how to Add audience targeting to an ad group or campaign.
How to target specific demographic groups
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
- Click the name of the campaign to which you want to add demographic targeting. You can add demographic categories to Search, Display, and Video campaigns.
- Click the name of the ad group to which you want to add demographic targeting.
- In the page menu on the left, click Demographics.
- Click the demographic you want to target along the top of the page:
- Parental status (Display and Video campaigns only)
- Household income (currently only available in Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand and the U.S.)
- Check the box next to the specific demographic groups you want to target.
- Click the Edit drop-down in the blue banner that appears along the top of the table, then select Enable. To exclude demographic groups, select Exclude from ad group.
How to set a bid for a specific demographic group
You may get a higher return on investment (ROI) or increase your chances to show your ads to people who are more likely to buy your products by setting a specific bid for a demographic group. Set a custom bid for a Display campaign, or edit the bid adjustment for a Search campaign.