Canceling your Google Ads account
You can cancel your Google Ads account at any time. This will automatically stop all your ads within 24 hours.
This article shows you how to cancel your account, and what you should know before you cancel your account.
Canceling your Google Ads account is different from deleting your Google Account. When you cancel your Google Ads account, your ads stop showing, but you’re still able to access the account. When you delete your Google Account, all Google product accounts associated with that account will be canceled, and you'll be unable to access the accounts in the future. Your Gmail username will also be deleted and can't be used again in the future. Learn more about deleting your Google Account.
Before you cancel
Note that canceling your Google Ads account has the same effect as pausing your campaigns, with these exceptions:
- When you cancel your account, you can receive a refund for any unused account balance, excluding amounts from promotional offers.
- If you cancel your account, you'll need to reactivate your account first if you want to use it again in the future.
If you don't have unused funds in your account, you may want to pause your campaigns instead of canceling your account.
If you’re canceling your account because you’re not happy with how your campaigns are performing, you may want to check out optimization tips that could help. You can also contact us for further assistance or leave feedback about your Google Ads experience.
How cancellation works
If you decide to cancel your account, keep in mind that you'll still need to pay for any accrued costs in your account. If you have money left in your account, we'll refund it to your payment method within 4 weeks. To learn more, read Managing billing after canceling your Google Ads account.
After you cancel, you’ll still be able to access the data in your Google Ads account by logging in to Google Ads. If you want to use Google Ads again in the future, you can reactivate your account at any time.
Requirements for cancellation
To cancel your account, you'll need:
- Administrative access to your account
- Billing set up for your account
If you have a manager account and want to cancel one of your managed accounts, keep in mind the following requirements:
- You’ll need administrative access to your manager account
- Your manager account needs to have created the managed account you’d like to cancel
- That managed account can have no other users with administrative access
Read About canceling managed accounts to learn more.
How to cancel your account
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose Previous below. Learn more
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Account settings.
- In the "Account cancellation" section at the bottom of the page, click Cancel this account. This option won't appear if your AdWords account is already canceled or if your user account doesn't have administrative access.
- In the pop-up box that appears, you can follow links to troubleshoot common issues, leave us feedback about why you're canceling your account, and confirm that you want to cancel your account by clicking Cancel my account at the bottom.
After your account is cancelled
The following will take place after cancelling your account:
- All remarketing lists that are owned by the cancelled account, including Customer Match, will be set to “Closed,” preventing new users from being added to these lists.
In an effort to remove your data, the following will take place about a month after account cancellation:
- All remarketing lists that are owned by the cancelled account, including Customer Match, will have their membership duration updated to 1 day. This action will remove all users from these lists.
- Once the users are removed, lists that are shared with other accounts will no longer be usable for those accounts .
- Any parameters for dynamic remarketing will be deleted.
If you have any refundable credit left in your canceled account, you should receive a refund within 4-12 weeks. Learn more about refunds
Problems canceling your account
- If you don't see the option to cancel your account, you may not be eligible to cancel it. Review "Requirements for cancellation” above.
- If your administrative access user left the company, and you want to cancel your account, collect your Customer ID, sign-in email address, account billing information, and contact Google Ads support.