Thanks to machine learning and our rich audience signals, Discovery campaigns can help you drive action with highly interested audiences and scale your reach to new customers. Drive even better performance with these tips for reaching your ideal audience.
- Keep optimized targeting enabled to expand your campaign’s reach.
Why: If you notice that certain audiences perform well for your campaign and you want to reach more of the right customers at scale, use optimized targeting to let Google’s machine learning find more highly relevant audiences who are likely to convert.
Advertisers who use optimized targeting with Discovery ads see 52% more conversions at a comparable cost-per-acquisition to their originally selected audience.1
- Use what you know works: Choose audiences that are more likely to convert based on performance you’ve seen in your Video and Social campaigns.
Why: Discovery campaigns rely on the same audience segments that are available in Search, Display, and Video. If you’ve seen success with these audiences in the past, we recommend starting with them for your Discovery campaigns as well, and consider starting with the following audiences: your data or custom audiences to re-engage people who have shown interest in purchasing soon.
- Avoid too much segmentation: Group all relevant audiences in the same ad group to speed up learning and give the system ample data to work with for maximum performance.
Why: Our models learn at the ad group level, so we recommend including all relevant audiences in the same ad group. Consolidating audiences at this level (rather than breaking out new campaigns or ad groups for each audience) streamlines insights, enables performance, and allows our system to optimize your ads more effectively.
- Go farther with search intent: If you use Search campaigns, include at least 10 converting Search keywords in each of your custom intent audiences.
Why: Using top-performing keywords from your search terms report and adding in additional category terms will help you reach relevant audiences who already have a strong, invested interest in topics related to the products or services you offer.
If you own an athletic wear brand, by uploading at least 10 converting Search keywords in each of your custom intent audiences you can connect with potential customers who are actively researching topics like running gear, fitness, wellness, yoga pants, etc.
- Align your audience, creative message and conversion action across surfaces.
Why: Try mixing audiences suited to finding customers earlier in their consumer journey (like Affinity or In-market audiences) with conversions for later in the purchase journey (like purchases). Also consider amplifying your creative across more surfaces on Google and YouTube to tell a unified, consistent story across your brand experiences. This can help you reach more of the right audience and drive more engagement with the right campaigns.
1. Google Internal Data, Sep 2019-Jul 2020
2. Google Internal Data, Global, Feb-Mar 2021. Data from 350 Video action and Discovery campaigns adhering to budget best practices with a minimum of 20 conversions. Incremental conversions are defined as conversions earned at or below the marginal cost for a conversion.