Rotate, tilt, zoom, and other gestures in Google Maps
You can use gestures like rotate, tilt, and zoom to quickly move through the Google Maps app.
Rotate the map
Touch an area with two fingers and drag both fingers in a circular motion.
Tip: In the top right, a compass will show up. Touch it to rotate the map so north is pointing up.
Tilt the map
Touch an area with two fingers and drag both fingers upwards. Drag from top to bottom to return to an overhead view.
Zoom in the mapZoom in and out with one hand
- Touch a spot on the map.
- Immediately touch again and then drag down to zoom in and drag up to zoom out.
To zoom in:
Touch an area with two fingers at once and spread them apart.
To zoom out
Touch once with two fingers or touch an area with two fingers and pinch them together.
View the mapMove around the map
Drag the map with your finger.
To hide boxes, buttons, and pins, tap the map once. If you want to hide more of them, try tapping the map again
To show boxes and buttons, tap the map until they come back.
Note: This is only available on Android phones and iPhone, not on tablets.
See info about a place
- Open the Google Maps app .
- Search for a place or touch a place on the map.
- From the bottom, swipe up on the name of the place.
- You see more info about the place, like business hours, the address, and more.