Improve the accuracy of your location
If your GPS, position, or location on the map is wrong, follow these steps to help fix the problem.
Try going outside
Your GPS signal is strongest under the clear blue sky. If you can’t see the sky, you may have a weak GPS signal and your position on the map may not be accurate.
Turn on Wi-Fi
Your location is most accurate if Wi-Fi is turned on.
Check your location settings on Android devices
- Open the Google Maps app .
- Touch the menu > Settings > Location accuracy tips.
If Maps isn’t sure about your location
You’ll see a light blue circle around your location. You may be anywhere within it.
How Maps knows your location
Your location is approximated by using this information from your phone:
- GPS: This uses satellites and knows your location within a few meters.
- Wi-Fi: The location of nearby WiFi networks helps Maps know where you are.
- Cell tower: Your connection to a cellular network can be accurate up to a few thousand meters.
- Other information: Your location can be improved with an accelerometer, compass, gyroscope and barometer in your phone.
- Apple Location Services: This may be used on iPhone & iPad if GPS isn’t available. Learn more about Apple Location Services.