On your mobile device, you can talk to write in most places where you can type with a keyboard.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 7.0 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Note: Talk-to-text doesn't work with all languages.
Talk to write
- On your Android phone or tablet, install Gboard.
- Open any app that you can type with, like Gmail or Keep.
- Tap an area where you can enter text.
- At the top of your keyboard, touch and hold Microphone .
- When you see "Speak now," say what you want written.
Tip: On some Pixel devices, you can also use Assistant to type with your voice.
You can use different phrases to add punctuation to your text. Punctuation might not be available in all languages.
Some phrases you can use are:
- Exclamation point
- Question mark
- New line
- New paragraph
Replace a word
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the document or message with the word you want to change.
- Touch and hold the word.
- At the top of your keyboard, tap Microphone .
- When you see "Speak now," say the new word.