Import a file
To import data from a file on your computer:
- Go to Google Docs and sign in with your Google Account (or create one!)
- Click the Create button and select More > Fusion Table.
- Choose the file to upload from your computer and click Next.
- Preview the columns being imported. Click Next.
- Edit the table's name, attribution and description as needed. You can see and change these values later by selecting File > About.
- Click Finish.
Your newly uploaded data now appears in a new Fusion Table!
Available import options
Separator character. Fusion Tables does its best to import text files separated with commas, tabs, colons and more. Specify the delimiting character immediately after choosing a text file to import.
Character encoding. Fusion Tables assumes files are UTF-8 encoded, but supports import of many other encodings. The wrong encoding may result in funny symbols in your data. If you're not sure of the encoding, try "auto-detect." Choose from the Character encoding pull-down menu immediately after specifying a file to import.
Column names. By default, Fusion Tables assumes the first row contains the column names. To change this, select the correct row in the Column names are in row dropdown during import. Rows above it will be ignored.
Table metadata. Fusion Tables supports basic data source attribution on a file to encourage appropriate provenance tracking and data re-use. You can change these values later.
- Attribution: the citation for or owner of the data
- URL: where to find the data or the data owner online.
- Description: other notes about the provenance of the data that will help you and others understand the data set later.
Download. You can choose to prevent viewers from downloading data from the table.