This article provides a summary of Funding Choices components and availability.
Funding Choices consists of three main components:
- Messages: You can currently create and publish two types of messages on your site: those displayed to users with ad blockers installed, with the purpose of helping you recover ad revenue; and those displayed to eligible users from European Economic Area (EEA), with the purpose of helping with consent gathering for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Contributor: An ad removal pass for your site. It’s a new source of monetization, funded directly by your users. Contributor is one option you can offer to users as an alternative to whitelisting or consenting to personalized ads.
- Reporting: Provides insight into how your messages are performing, and data about the types of relevant pageviews on your site.
Read more about each of these below.
Messages for ad block users
This message type gives you an opportunity to capture revenue that would otherwise be lost due to ad blocker usage. It presents users that have ad blockers installed with choices on how they want to fund your content, either through whitelisting your site, buying a Contributor pass, or implementing a Custom Choice. Learn how to set up a message for ad block users
Messages for ad block users include:
- Ad block detection: a script that identifies visits to your site in which the user has ad blocking software installed or is visiting from a network that has network-level ad blocking installed.
- Custom choice: Allows you to offer your ad blocking users a custom alternative to whitelisting. For example, instead of asking ad block users to either whitelist or buy a Contributor pass, you might ask them to either whitelist or subscribe to your site, where subscribing to your site is the custom choice. This option requires that you implement the
googlefc.controlledMessagingFunctionfunction of the Funding Choices unified API. Learn how to set up your Custom Choice message for ad block users
Messages for EU user consent
This message type is displayed to eligible users from the European Economic Area (EEA) to help with consent gathering for the General Data Protection Regulation for ad serving purposes.
Messages for EU user consent include:
- Ad technology provider list: When you enter your AdSense publisher IDs and Ad Manager network codes into the Funding Choices interface, ad technology providers that you entered in those products are automatically pulled into the consent message that your users see. Learn about adding ad technology providers to the consent message
Each Funding Choices account supports one language.Languages supported by the Funding Choices message builder
Spanish (Latin America)
Google Contributor is an ad removal pass for your site. It’s a new source of monetization, funded directly by your users. You can offer Contributor as an alternative to whitelisting your site (if you're showing messages to ad block users) or as an alternative to consent to personalized ads (if you're showing messages for EU consent). Learn more about ContributorCurrencies supported by Contributor
AUD: Australian dollar*
BGN: Bulgarian lev
CAD: Canadian dollar*
CHF: Swiss franc
CZK: Czech koruna
DKK: Danish krone
EUR: European euro
GBP: Pound sterling
HRK: Croatian kuna
HUF: Hungarian forint
NOK: Norwegian krone
NZD: New Zealand dollar*
PLN: Polish zloty
RON: Romanian leu
SEK: Swedish krona
USD: United States dollar*
* Contributor is available in these countries as a component of Funding Choices for ad blocking.
Reporting is an integral part of the Funding Choices offering. For both ad block messages and EU consent messages, you can find metrics on user engagement, eligible pageviews, conversion rates, and more. Learn about user consent reporting and ad blocking reporting for a complete list of metrics and how to view them.