Last updated: 7 July 2020
Funding Choices Program Policies
Funding Choices consists of three main components:
- Messages: You can currently create and publish the following messages on your site:
- those displayed to users with ad blockers installed, with the purpose of helping you recover ad revenue
- those displayed to eligible users from European Economic Area (EEA) and UK (United Kingdom), with the purpose of helping with consent gathering for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR); and
- a “Do not sell my personal information” opt out link for California users as required by the California Consumer Privacy Act
- Contributor: An ad removal pass for your site. It’s a new source of monetization, funded directly by your users. Contributor is one option you can offer to users as an alternative to allowing ads or consenting to personalized ads.
- Reporting: Provides insight into how your messages are performing, and data about the types of relevant pageviews on your site.
When you agree to the terms of Google's Funding Choices product, you are required to adhere to this policy (in addition to applicable partner and product-specific policies that Google makes available to you). If you fail to comply with these policies, we may suspend and/or terminate your account.
Using Funding Choices to Gather Consent for the Use of Personal Data in the EEA and UK
Funding Choices participates in the IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework and Complies with its Specifications and Policies (the “IAB Requirements”). Funding Choices operates this Consent Management Platform with identification number 300.
It is your responsibility to ensure that any user messaging associated with consent gathering for the use of their personal data, including any default language provided by Funding Choices, meets your legal requirements. It is also your responsibility to ensure that your use of Funding Choices messaging is compliant with the IAB Requirements. If your messaging and/or configuration are not compliant with the IAB Requirements, we may discontinue showing your messages to EEA and UK users and/or terminate your Funding Choices account.
You are required to use Funding Choices in ways that respect users' privacy decisions towards your services and services provided by vendors you work with.
Google's Funding Choices product must not be used in connection with the following:
- Content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others.
- Content that threatens or advocates for harm on oneself or others.
- Content that harasses, intimidates or bullies an individual or group of individuals.
- Content that incites hatred against, promotes discrimination of, or disparages an individual or group on the basis of their ethnic origin, religion, disability, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or other characteristic that is associated with systemic discrimination or marginalization.
- Sites and pages that don’t comply with the Better Ads Standards.
This includes, for example, advertisements, the pages that display them, their landing pages, as well as pages that otherwise contain tags provided by Google’s Funding Choices product. In the event that we receive a complaint, we reserve the right to disclose your identity to that complainant.
If you use Google's Funding Choices product in connection with content that is directed at children under the age of 13 years, you must notify Google using our Search console or tag your site, app, or ad request for child-directed treatment.
You must disclose clearly any data collection, sharing and usage that takes place on any site, app, email publication or other property as a consequence of your use of Google products. To comply with this disclosure obligation with respect to Google's use of data, you have the option to display a prominent link to How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps. You must also comply with the EU User Consent Policy, if applicable.
- You must not set a cookie on Google's domains or modify, intercept or delete cookies set on Google's domains.
- You must not use artificial means to inflate impressions, conversions and/or clicks (e.g. click fraud).
- You must not distribute, or link to pages that distribute, malware or other software that violates Google's Unwanted Software Policy.
- You must not use device fingerprints or locally shared objects (e.g. Flash cookies, Browser Helper Objects, HTML5 local storage) other than HTTP cookies, or user-resettable mobile device identifiers designed for use in advertising, in connection with Google's Platform Products.
- You must not use systems that overlay ad space on a given site without express permission of the site owner.
Identifying users and user consent
You must not pass any information to Google:
- that Google could use or recognize as personally-identifiable information; or
- that permanently identifies a particular device (such as a mobile phone's unique device identifier if such an identifier cannot be reset).
You must not use Google's Funding Choices product to identify users or facilitate the merging of personally-identifiable information with information previously collected as non-personally identifiable information without robust notice of, and the user's prior affirmative (i.e. opt-in) consent to, that identification or merger. Irrespective of users' consent, you must not attempt to disaggregate data that Google reports in aggregate.
If in connection with Google's Funding Choices product you collect, process or disclose information that identifies or can be used to infer an end user's precise geographic location, such as GPS, wifi or cell tower data:
- you must obtain express (i.e. opt-in) consent from end users;
- all applicable privacy policies must disclose such information collection, processing or disclosure; and
- you will only send such information to Google in an encrypted state or via an encrypted channel.
Installation and Removal Instructions
Please follow the instructions available here for installing and here for removing the Funding Choices product. Note that any request for account termination or suspension may take up to 3 business days to be initiated by Google. Any use of the Services must be in compliance with the Funding Choices terms and conditions, as well as these policies.
Prior to making any support request to Google, you must first use reasonable efforts to fix any error, bug, malfunction, or network connectivity defect without any escalation to Google.
Contributor Specific Requirements
- Revenue attributed to a Property’s use of Contributor will be remitted in accordance with the revenue share policies.
- If you choose to use Contributor, the Contributor link must be displayed on each page of your Property in a visible, unobscured location.
- If your implementation of the Services on a Property causes any ads to be shown to a valid Contributor who has activated their ad removal pass for that Property, Google reserves to right to withhold payment equal to the value the Contributor user paid for an ad-free experience.
- You must not deploy Contributor in a way that causes a user to be charged for multiple page accesses that they did not initiate (e.g., auto-refreshing).