Files by Google makes it easy to access files you've archived and compressed to free up space on your device. You can extract and view content such as images and videos with the Files by Google app.
How to extract content from your files
- On your Android device, open Files by Google .
- On the bottom, tap Browse .
- Navigate to a folder that contains a .zip file you want to de-compress.
- Tap the .zip file.
- The next screen shows you the content within that file.
- Select Extract.
Note: There’s no option to extract a single file, so all the content within the file will be extracted. Also, if you extract a file to an SD card, the app may ask your permission to continue.
- The content is saved to a file with the name of the original compressed file.
Example: If the compressed file was named /downloads/HolidayPics.zip, the content gets extracted to: /downloads/HolidayPics/(files).
- You’re shown a preview of the file. If you want to delete the .zip file your content was in, select the Delete ZIP file checkbox.
Fix “memory full” errors
Content won’t extract
If your storage is full, you may receive an error message when trying to extract a file. To fix this issue, increase your device storage space or move your content to a different SD card.