Sometimes a Google Fiber device gets into a state that requires you to power cycle (restart) or reset it. Your Fiber Jack, Network Box, router or Mesh Extender may have trouble coming back online after an outage or get interrupted during a software update, slowing down and eventually stopping its system. If you're having trouble with your internet connection, you should first restart your Wi-Fi router either through our Google Fiber app, or by manually following the instructions below, before you try to reset it.
Power cycle a Google Fiber device
If you've tried everything else to resolve a problem, you can try to power cycle the device before contacting customer support.
- Unplug its power cord
- Wait at least 10 seconds
- Plug the power cord back in to the device
- Wait 2-3 minutes for the LED to turn to Solid Blue
Power cycling generally solves most common issues. If power cycling does not resolve the problem, contact GFiber customer support.
Reset a Google Fiber device
A caution about resetting your devices
Although Google Fiber devices have Reset buttons, use caution if you decide to press it, since that can cause a full factory reset. Unlike power cycling, a factory reset will return a device to its original settings, which should resolve any configuration related issues. A factory reset will also reset display settings, 3rd party app logins and other configuration settings.
The reset button is typically found on the rear or underside of your Google Fiber device. To see a diagram of the reset button's location on a specific device, please find the corresponding article listed in the Overview of Fiber devices section.
Most Network Box customers are eligible to upgrade to a Wi-Fi 6 router. To learn more, please visit the Wi-Fi 6 router upgrade for Network Box customers article.
- Press and hold the Reset button for at least 20 seconds:
- The device's LED will start blinking in the following pattern: flashing red for about 10 seconds, then switching to flashing purple.
- Once the LED turns off completely, release the button
- Allow several minutes for the device to fully reboot and reconnect to the network
To reset a Google Fiber Phone Box:
- Hold down the reset button and wait for the LED changes to a fast-blinking purple light.
- Continue holding down the reset button for 10 seconds, until the LED goes dark, then release.
- Allow several minutes for the device to fully reboot and reconnect to the network.
To reset a Google Fiber Mesh Extender GFEX310:
- Verify the Mesh Extender is ON.
- Use a pen or an unfolded paperclip to push the recessed Reset button on the mesh Extender for at least 10 seconds and then release it to reset it to factory default settings.
- The WPS light sequence will indicate Blinking Red > Off (No Light) > Solid Yellow Off (No Light) > Solid Yellow.