This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Questions about the new Fi Unlimited plan or our current promo? Check here! 0 Recommended Answers 111 Replies 93 Upvotes
Last edited 11/11/19
UPDATE: Having trouble seeing the option to switch? Make sure to update your app to the latest version, or visit fi.google.com on the web to see the option to switch.
Do you have questions about our brand new Unlimited plan or our current 50% off of the Pixel 3 & 3XL promotion? We have answers!
To see our official Unlimited plan announcements, please see our official blog post, or our forum post here.
What pricing plans does Fi offer?
Fi offers two pricing plans: the existing plan (now named Flexible) and a new Unlimited plan.
- On the Unlimited plan, you’ll receive unlimited talk, text, and data, for a flat monthly rate. The Unlimited plan includes 22 GB of full speed data, and slower data after 22 GB. Video may stream at 480p. Unlimited international data is included in 200+ destinations at no extra charge (and with no setup required).
How much does each pricing plan cost?
The Flexible plan starts at $20 for 1 line and $15 for each additional line (data not included):
- 1 person is $20 ( $20 total) + data usage
- 2 people are an avg. of $18 per line (actually $35 total) + data usage
- 3 people are an avg. of $17 per line (actually $50 total) + data usage
- 4 people are an avg. of $17 per line (actually $65 total) + data usage
- 5 people are an avg. of $16 per line (actually $80 total) + data usage
- 6 people are an avg. of $16 per line (actually $95 total) + data usage
Unlimited (data included):
- 1 person is $70 ($70 total)
- 2 people are $60 per line ($120 total)
- 3 people are $50 per line ($150 total)
- 4 people are $45 per line ($180 total)
- 5 people are $45 per line ($225 total)
- 6 people are $45 per line ($270 total)
Can group plan members be on different billing plans?
- No, all members of a group plan must be on the same billing plan.
- For example: If a group plan owner elects for the group to switch to the Unlimited plan, once the next billing cycle begins, the entire group will be switched to the Unlimited plan.
How does proration work when you add a new member on both plans?
- Proration works the same whether you’re on the Flexible plan or the Unlimited plan.
- When you add a member to your Flexible or Unlimited group plan, your monthly bill will be prorated to reflect this change.
- For example: If your billing cycle ends on June 20th and you add a member to your Flexible plan on June 15th, your bill will be prorated to reflect the 5 days that the new member was on your plan during that billing cycle.
Signing up and switching Fi plans
How do I join the Fi Unlimited plan?
To sign up for the Fi Unlimited plan, head to fi.google.com/signup and follow the instructions. Make sure to select “Unlimited” as you’re going through the signup process. For more info on how to sign up for Fi, see here.
How do I switch to the Unlimited plan?
If you’re interested in switching from your current plan to the Unlimited plan, you can do so by following these steps:
- Log into your account at fi.google.com, or open your Google Fi app
- Click on Manage Plan
- Under Actions, click Switch plan
- Follow the instructions to switch to the Unlimited plan
- Note: Once you elect to switch your plan type, this change will not take effect until the start of your next billing cycle. You and your group plan members will see a notification at the top of your account(s) notifying you of your intent to switch and your new plan start date.
When can I switch between plans?
- You can request to switch plans at any time at fi.google.com or within your Google Fi app, however the change will not take effect until the start of your next billing cycle.
- You and your plan members will see a notification at the top of your account when you log into the Fi website or app notifying you of your scheduled switch.
- When the switch occurs, you will also receive an email notification confirming your change request.
- You cannot currently schedule a switch in plans further out than the start of your next billing cycle.
What if I want to cancel my scheduled switch?
- If you’ve scheduled a plan switch for the start of your next billing cycle, you can choose to cancel the switch and stay on your current plan type any time before the start of your next billing cycle.
- To cancel your scheduled switch:
- Log into your account at fi.google.com, or open your Google Fi app
- Click on Manage Plan
- At the top of your Account tab you will see a notification that your plan switch is scheduled
- Click Cancel switch to cancel the switch
Is there a limit to how often I can switch plans?
- Nope! You can request to switch plans at any time at fi.google.com or within your Google Fi app, however the change will not take effect until the start of your next billing cycle.
Pausing / Unpausing / Canceling / Rejoining on Unlimited
How does pausing work on the Unlimited plan?
- You can pause your Google Fi service for a short period of time (up to 90 days)
- Note: If you haven't resumed service after 90 days, it will automatically turn back on.
- Note: there are some exceptions for military personnel. More info on this here.
- You can choose to pause your line at any time, but you will be charged through the end of your in-progress billing cycle. If you are paused at the start of your new billing cycle, you will not be charged for that cycle (until you unpause).
- When you temporarily pause your Fi service, your bundled benefits (e.g. Google One) will continue to be active
How does unpausing work on the Unlimited plan?
- You can choose to resume your Fi service at any time
- When you unpause, you will be charged for the remaining days in the cycle, regardless of whether you re-pause before that cycle ends.
- Note: You cannot change your billing cycle date.
How does canceling my Fi service work on the Unlimited plan?
- When you cancel on Unlimited, you will be charged the full amount of the billing cycle during which your service is terminated
- Note: This could be the same billing cycle as when you elect to cancel, or it could be in a different cycle
- For example: If it takes multiple days to port out to another carrier, you may end up paying for multiple Fi billing cycles, depending how long the port out process takes.
- Exception: If a member moves to a different Fi plan, we will prorate their original group owner for the remainder of the month.
- Proration will happen by providing your group owner a service credit for the remaining days in your original billing cycle.
- When you cancel your Fi plan on Unlimited, your other bundled benefits (E.g. Google One, free calls abroad from the U.S.) will also be terminated
- Exception: If you had a pre-existing Google One account with your billing account set up (before signing up for Fi), you will begin getting charged again for your Google One service through your existing Google One billing account.
How does rejoining Fi work on the Unlimited plan?
- You can choose to resume your Fi service at any time and you will be charged a prorated amount for the amount of days you were active in your current billing cycle
How does video streaming work on the Unlimited plan?
- On the Fi Unlimited plan, video may be streamed at 480p (DVD quality).
How much full speed data is included on the Unlimited plan?
- The Unlimited plan includes you use 22 GB of full speed data per person. If you exceed this amount in a cycle, your data speeds will get slowed to 256 kbps until the next cycle, or you can pay for additional full speed data (at $10/GB).
Can I pay to return to full speed on either plan?
- After hitting 15 GB on the Flexible plan and 22 GB on the Unlimited plan, you can go back to full data speeds at $10/GB for the rest of your cycle.
- Select Account > Get full speed in your Google Fi app.
One-time higher bill after switching to Unlimited
Why is my bill higher after switching to Unlimited from Flexible?
- When you switch from the Flexible plan to Unlimited, you’ll most likely see a one-time higher bill than usual. This is because you post-pay for your data on the Flexible plan and you pre-pay for your unlimited talk, text, and data on Unlimited. Therefore, you may see a one-time higher bill after switching. For more information on this, see here.
What is it?
- Google One is a membership that helps you get more out of Google. Get more space for everything with 100 GB of cloud storage and keep your phone - full resolution photos and videos, messages and more - automatically backed up with Google One. As a member, you’ll also get extra benefits like discounts on Google products.
How does it work?
- The Google Fi Unlimited plan includes a Google One membership with 100 GB of cloud storage for each eligible member at no extra cost. Once you activate on Fi, your Google One membership will take effect automatically.
- Note: If you're already a paying Google One member and you subscribe to a Fi Unlimited Plan, your monthly Google One membership will be discounted by $1.99/month. Please note that some types of email accounts aren't eligible for Google One and phone backup is limited to Android devices.
- See What if I already have a Google One membership? Do I still get the discount? below for more information.
How do I get it?
- If you are switching from the Flexible plan to the Unlimited plan, your free Google One membership with 100 GB of storage will become active once you are officially switched to the Unlimited plan (at the start of your next billing cycle after you decide to switch).
- If you are signing up as a new Unlimited customer, your free Google One membership will become active when you activate your Fi Unlimited plan. For both scenarios, you’ll receive an email with more information on Google One upon signing up / switching to Unlimited.
What if I want more storage?
- If you are interested in a higher-tier Google One plan, you can sign up for this via Google One (using the same email address you use for Fi) and your monthly membership cost will be discounted by $1.99 per month (the cost of a 100 GB plan).
What if I already have a Google One membership or I'm on a free trial of Google One? Do I still get the discount?
- Yes! If you already pay for Google One storage (whether it’s 100 GB, 2 TB, etc.) on a monthly plan, we will automatically deduct the included 100 GB cost (value of $1.99 a month) from your recurring payments through Google One. For eligible customers, you will see this deduction on your monthly Google One bill.
- If you currently pay for an annual plan through Google One, we recommend switching to a monthly subscription, and then you'll need to contact our Fi support team for help redeeming your free 100 GB of storage through Fi.
What happens to my Google One benefits when I switch to Flexible?
- When you switch to Fi’s Flexible plan, you will lose access to your Google One benefits 7 days after you switch, however you may choose to begin paying for your Google One membership through Google One, so that you have undisturbed service.
What happens to my Google One benefits when I pause my Fi service?
- When you choose to pause your Google Fi service, you will not lose access to your Google One benefits.
What happens to my Google One benefits when I cancel my Fi service?
- When you choose to cancel your Google Fi service, you will lose access to your Google One benefits 7 days after your Fi service ends, however you may choose to begin paying for your Google One membership through Google One, so that you have undisturbed service.
Free international calls from the U.S.
Is calling abroad from the U.S. included in the Unlimited plan?
Are calls abroad from the U.S. the same as international roaming?
- No, “calls abroad from the U.S.” means that you are in the U.S. making a call to an international country or territory.
- This is not the same as international calling while you’re abroad. International calling when abroad is charged at these low rates.
50% off of the Pixel 3 & 3XL promotion
What are the promotion details?
- Now for a limited time at fi.google.com, Fi is offering 50% off of the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL when you purchase and activate from fi.google.com, valid until Wednesday, 9/18 at 12PM PDT, or while supplies last. This is available to new and existing Fi subscribers, with activation required within 30 days of shipment. Terms can be found here.
- Pixel 3 64 GB: Previously $799, now $399
- Pixel 3 128 GB: Previously $899, now $449
- Pixel 3XL 64 GB: Previously $899, now $449
- Pixel 3XL 128 GB: Previously $999, now $499
When does the promotion end?
- This promotion is valid until Wednesday, 9/18 at 12PM PDT, or while supplies last.
Can a member of a group plan purchase multiple devices with the discount?
- Yes, they can purchase multiple devices as long as the devices are activated by members of the purchaser’s group plan (limit of one device per group plan member).
Still have questions? Let us know here!
- Kelly, Google Fi Community Manager
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.
Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.