When you turn on your Pixel phone for the first time, follow the steps on your screen to activate Google Fi and set up your embedded SIM (eSIM). If you've already set up your phone or skipped activation, follow the steps below.
If you don't have a Pixel 2 or later, activate Google Fi service with a SIM card.
Important: If your Pixel phone was purchased from Verizon, the phone isn't eSIM compatible with Google Fi. You must activate the Pixel phone with a physical SIM.
Set up eSIM on the Google Fi app
- Make sure you have access to Wi-Fi.
- Open the Google Fi app or download it from Google Play.
- Sign in with the Google Account you used to sign up for Fi.
- When you're asked to activate Google Fi, tap Continue.
- If you’re transferring a number, enter the number and account information for your current carrier.
If you set up your Google Fi eSIM and also have a physical SIM card for a different carrier, you can switch between mobile networks.
- Open your phone's Settings .
- Tap Network & Internet Mobile Network Advanced.
- Choose the name of the carrier.
- Tap Switch.
To improve your network coverage, use your Google Fi eSIM with a physical Fi SIM card. Fi automatically switches between the 2 to provide the best coverage.
If you bought your phone from Google Fi or the Google Store and selected Fi as your carrier, your Pixel comes with a SIM card inside. After you activate Fi with the inserted SIM card, the 2 SIMs work together. Learn how to activate your device.
If you take out your physical SIM card, your device loses service. To regain service, reinsert your SIM card or reactivate Fi with your eSIM.
If you add a SIM card after you activate FI with your eSIM and have 2 mobile data indicators, follow these steps:
- Remove your SIM card.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Network & internet Mobile networks Google Fi Erase SIM.
- Reinsert the SIM card.
- Open the Google Fi app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Troubleshoot eSIM issues
If on display is "Activate service later" when you set up your phone for the first time, finish setup and follow the steps above to activate your eSIM.