Use your own Pixel or Nexus phone with Project Fi
You can bring a Pixel XL, Pixel, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, or Nexus 6 that you already own to Project Fi. You'll need a SIM kit and the Project Fi app to use your phone on Project Fi.
- If you’re a new user: go to fi.google.com/signup to sign up for Project Fi and order a SIM kit.
- If you're a current Fi user on a Nexus 6: You need an updated SIM kit for your new phone. To order, contact a project Fi expert below.
What you need to use your own Pixel or Nexus phoneSign up for Project Fi
Even if you already have a Pixel XL, Pixel, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, or Nexus 6, you still need to sign up for Project Fi. Learn more about how to get Project Fi.
Only unlocked devices can be used with Project Fi. If you purchased your Pixel XL, Pixel, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, or Nexus 6 through Project Fi or the Google Store, your device is unlocked.
If you aren’t sure if your phone is unlocked, you can contact your current carrier or the place where you purchased your phone. You need to make sure you don't owe any payments on your device. Your carrier may also have other requirements to unlock your device.
Project Fi works with the following Nexus models:
- Pixel XL Model G-2PW2100 (North American version)
- Pixel Model G-2PW4100 (North American version)
- Nexus 5X Model LGH790 (North American version)
- Nexus 6P Model H1511 (North American version)
- Nexus 6 Model XT1103 (North American version)
Project Fi does not work with the following Nexus models:
- Pixel XL Model G-2PW2200 (Rest of world version)
- Pixel Model G-2PW4200 (Rest of world version)
- Nexus 5X Model LGH791 and LGH791F (Rest of world versions)
- Nexus 6P Model H1512 (Rest of world version)
- Nexus 6 Model XT1100 (Rest of world version)
These models won't work with Project Fi because they don’t support CDMA, a radio technology required for Fi.
Check your model number
To check your model number:
- Open the Settings app on your phone .
- Scroll to the bottom. Under “System,” touch About phone.
- Touch Regulatory Information.
- You’ll see your model number. If it matches the supported model numbers above, you’re all set.
If you have a different model number, you won’t be able to use this phone with Project Fi.
Once you sign up for Project Fi
Before your SIM card arrivesBefore your SIM kit arrives, make sure your Pixel or Nexus phone is running Android 5.1 or above. Here’s how to check your Android version number and download software updates.
After your SIM card arrives
If you have trouble setting up your Pixel or Nexus phone with Project Fi, use the buttons below to contact a Project Fi expert.