If you can’t make or receive calls, have dropped calls, or the audio quality isn’t good, try the troubleshooting steps below to fix the problem. After each step, try making a call or ask a friend to call you to check if the issue is fixed. You can always use the button below to contact a Google Fi expert.
Keep in mind that dropped calls may happen every once in a while because of interference from buildings, weather, or other factors.
Wi-Fi calling works on Designed for Fi and most Compatible with Fi phones.1. Check that Wi-Fi calling is enabled in the Google Fi app
- Open the Google Fi app .
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Wi-Fi calling.
- Enable Wi-Fi calling.
Make sure you are using the Phone app that came on your phone to make calls. Other apps for dialing aren’t supported.
Check the coverage map for U.S. locations. If you’re using your phone outside the U.S., check the 120+ supported countries where you can use Google Fi.
If we have coverage in your location: Try going to another spot nearby where you have a signal. If you are inside a building or underground, try going outside. Buildings can sometimes block signals. If that doesn’t work, continue on to the next steps.
If we don’t have coverage in your location: Connect to Wi-Fi so you can use Wi-Fi calling.
Tip: There may be a service outage.
Calls in the U.S.If you’re having issues with outgoing calls, use the full 10- or 11-digit number. Try dialing:
- (Area code) + (number)
- 1+ (area code) + (number)
Calling other countries from the U.S.
If you are calling an international number from the U.S.:
- Canada and U.S. Virgin Islands: Dial 1 (area code) (local number).
- To all other countries: Tap and hold 0 until + on the displays on the screen, then dial (country code) (area code) (local number). For example, if you’re calling a number in the U.K., dial + 44 (area code) (local number).
Calling while you're outside the U.S.
If you are outside the U.S. and calling international numbers or the U.S.:
- To call a number in the country you’re visiting: Dial (area code) (local number).
- To call another country: Tap and hold 0 until a + displays on the screen, then dial (country code) (area code) (local number). For example, if you’re dialing a number in the U.K. from Japan, dial + 44 (area code) (local number).
- If this number format doesn’t work, you can also try using the exit code of the country you are visiting. Use (exit code) (destination country code) (area code) (local number).
- To call a number in the U.S.: Just dial 1 (area code) (local number). No need to dial 011 and the country code.
- Open your phone's Settings app .
- Tap Network & Internet.
- Turn on Airplane mode.
- Turn off Airplane mode.
Make sure Airplane mode is off when you’re done. Calling won’t work if Airplane mode is on.
Updates to the Google Fi app can provide feature and security improvements that may fix your issue.
To check if there’s an update for the Google Fi app, follow these steps:
- On your phone, open the Google Play Store app .
- At the top right, tap the profile icon.
- Tap Manage apps & device Updates available.
- If Google Fi is listed, tap Update.
8. Check for Carrier Services app updates
- Open the Google Play app .
- Search for
- Open the Carrier Services app tap Update.
System updates for your phone can provide improvements that may fix your issue. To check for and install system updates, follow these steps:
- Open your phone's Settings app .
- Tap System System update.
- Tap System Updates.
- Tap Check for update.
- If a system update is available, tap Install. You might need to restart your phone to complete the update.
- If a system update is not available, the screen will say “Your system is up to date."
- On your device, open the Google One app .
- At the top, tap Benefits.
- Find the VPN benefit and tap View details.
- Tap View settings Allow apps to bypass VPN.
- Select the app you want to bypass.
- Tap Add .
- To remove an app from the bypass list, tap Remove .
- At the top, tap Save.
Tip: If you don’t tap Save to restart the VPN by Google One, your changes won’t save. If the VPN is disabled, the changes will apply the next time the VPN is enabled.
Restarting your phone gives it a fresh start and is sometimes all you need to fix your issue. To restart your phone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button until the menu pops up.
- Tap Power off, and your phone will turn off.
- Press and hold the Power button until your device starts.