What Google Voice features do I get with Project Fi?
Project Fi works with Google Hangouts to bring you the best features from Google Voice. By using Hangouts with Project Fi, you can continue to talk, text, and check voicemail on the web, Android, and iPhone and iPad – all with one number, just like you can with Google Voice.
Keep in mind, there are some differences. See below for details. You can also learn what happens to your Google Voice number.Features you get with Project Fi
With Project Fi, you’ll have all of the following features you enjoyed with Google Voice:
Call, text, and check voicemail on the web, Android phones or tablets, and iPhones or iPads, using Hangouts.
Call forwarding, except to Google Voice or Project Fi numbers.
- The forwarding numbers you had set up on Google Voice will transfer to Project Fi. If you set your forwarding numbers to ring at different times, these settings will also transfer to Fi.
- Unless you set up an app to redirect your phone calls, any outgoing calls from a phone that you’re forwarding to using the default Phone app will come from the phone’s number, not your Project Fi number. If you make an outgoing call with the Hangouts dialer, the call will come from your Project Fi number.
- Your blocked numbers on Google Voice will remain blocked. Click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Project Fi website to add, change, or remove blocked numbers.
- You can also block individual numbers from your contacts.
Access to your history of calls, messages, and voicemail.
- Your past Google Voice call & voicemail history: Click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Project Fi website. You'll no longer have access to voice.google.com or Google Voice apps.
- Project Fi call & voicemail history: Available in the Phone app. Voicemail history is also available in Hangouts, if you turn on optional SMS & voicemail in Hangouts.
- Message history: If you’ve been using Google Voice text messages in Hangouts, your message history will continue to be available in Hangouts. If you didn’t use Hangouts, your message history won’t be available.
Voicemail transcriptions are available.
Low international calling rates, with no additional charge for international texts in more than 120 supported countries.
Google Voice credits you purchased with U.S dollars will carry over to your Project Fi billing statement. (If you paid for credit in another currency, you can request a refund.)
Some features of Google Voice aren’t available with Project Fi:
You’ll no longer be able to use the Google Voice website and apps or Google Talk to make calls and send texts, and check new voicemail.
- However, you can access your past Google Voice call and voicemail history by clicking the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Project Fi website.
You can’t use Obihai devices.
The following features are currently not available:
- Spam filtering.
- Call recording.
- Call switch.
- Caller ID (incoming). Choose to have the caller's number or your Project Fi number displayed on your phone's caller ID.
- Record calling.
- Text message to email (Text forwarding).
- Automatic blocking of outgoing caller ID (Anonymous caller ID). Keep in mind you can block your outgoing Caller ID info for specific calls by dialing *67 + the phone number.
The following features are turned off when you activate service with Project Fi. To access these settings, click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Project Fi website.