What Google Voice features do I get with Google Fi?
Google Fi works with Google Hangouts to bring you the best features from Google Voice. By using Hangouts with Google Fi, you can continue to talk, text, and check voicemail on the web, Android, and iPhone and iPad – all with one number, just like you can with Google Voice.
Keep in mind, there are some differences. See below for details. You can also learn what happens to your Google Voice number.Features you get with Google Fi
With Google Fi, you’ll have all of the following features you enjoyed with Google Voice:
Call, text, and check voicemail on the web, Android phones or tablets, and iPhones or iPads, using Hangouts.
Call forwarding, except to Google Voice or Google Fi numbers.
- The call forwarding numbers you had set up on Google Voice will transfer to Google Fi. If you set your call forwarding numbers to ring at different times, these settings will also transfer to Fi.
- Unless you set up an app to redirect your phone calls, any outgoing calls from a phone that you’re forwarding to using the default Phone app will come from the phone’s number, not your Google Fi number. If you make an outgoing call with the Hangouts dialer, the call will come from your Google Fi number.
- Your blocked numbers on Google Voice will remain blocked. Click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Google Fi website to add, change, or remove blocked numbers.
- You can also block individual numbers from your contacts.
Access to your history of calls, messages, and voicemail.
- Your past Google Voice call & voicemail history: Click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Google Fi website. You'll no longer have access to voice.google.com or Google Voice apps.
- Google Fi call & voicemail history: Available in the Phone app. Voicemail history is also available in Hangouts, if you turn on optional SMS & voicemail in Hangouts.
- Message history: If you’ve been using Google Voice text messages in Hangouts, your message history will continue to be available in Hangouts. If you didn’t use Hangouts, your message history won’t be available.
Voicemail transcriptions are available.
Low international calling rates, with no additional charge for international texts in more than 120 supported countries.
Google Voice credits you purchased with U.S dollars will carry over to your Google Fi billing statement. (If you paid for credit in another currency, you can request a refund.)
Some features of Google Voice aren’t available with Google Fi:
You’ll no longer be able to use the Google Voice website and apps or Hangouts to make calls and send texts, and check new voicemail.
- However, you can access your past Google Voice call and voicemail history by clicking the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Google Fi website.
You can’t use Obihai devices.
The following features are currently not available:
- Call switch.
- Caller ID (incoming). Choose to have the caller's number or your Google Fi number displayed on your phone's caller ID.
- Record calling.
- Text message to email (Text forwarding).
- Automatic blocking of outgoing caller ID (Anonymous caller ID). Keep in mind you can block your outgoing Caller ID info for specific calls by dialing *67 + the phone number.
The following features are turned off when you activate service with Google Fi. To access these settings, click the "Google Voice" link at the bottom of any page on the Google Fi website.