FeedBurner Stats Overview and FAQ
FeedBurner Stats is our analytics offering for blogs, websites and feeds of all kinds. The service is free with every FeedBurner feed and provides publishers with a comprehensive view of their audience.
Who needs this service and why?
Publishers who distribute media on the web and want to understand how their content is being consumed. This includes bloggers, podcasters, videocasters/videobloggers and traditional publishers.
What will it help publishers do that they can’t do today?
FeedBurner Stats provides publishers with a single interface for analyzing the content consumption habits of their audience — be it feed subscribers or website/blog visitors. This insight can help you determine which content is performing best, where your audience is located, and better understand detailed information about traffic sources such as search engines.
What makes FeedBurner Stats different from other solutions?
Only FeedBurner offers a comprehensive picture of a publishers feed audience and website/blog audience in one place. That means a 360 degree view of content consumption.
What are the specific features of FeedBurner Stats?
The FeedBurner Stats service for feeds provides the following feed-related information:
- Subscription data (e.g. number of subscribers by day, previous week, last 30 days and all time) and Reach data (the estimated number of individuals clicking or viewing your feed content in a given day)
- Breakdown of feed readers and aggregators, email services, web browsers and bots by which subscribers are accessing your content
- Clickthrough tracking
- Uncommon uses — sites where your content has been resyndicated including other blogs, directories and even spam sites
- Item enclosure downloads (podcasts)
- Live hits, conveniently translated to your local time zone
For even more insight, you can activate the following PRO features for no charge:
* Item views
Example Feed Stats Dashboard
The FeedBurner Stats service for websites provides the following information for your blog or site:
- Visitor summary and detail
- Page summary and detail
- Visitor and referral trends
- Inbound referral traffic breakdown
- Outbound click breakdown
- Visitor city cloud
- Percentage inbound traffic from search and the specific queries that drove the traffic
- Percentage traffic from other direct links and the specific pages that drove that traffic
- Percentage visitors that are new visitors to your site today
- Browser, OS and screen resolution breakdown, with trend indicators
- Detailed historical traffic by page
Example Blog/Site Stats Dashboard
How much does the FeedBurner Stats service cost?
The service is free with every FeedBurner feed, but we’ve never turned down payment in the form of general goodwill and virtual high fives.
What are the technical requirements to use StandardStats?
StandardStats for feeds is configured during the initial “feedburning” process. Tracking blog or site activity requires a small snippet of code to be added to your site. FeedBurner offers step-by-step instructions for most of the major blogging platforms.
How do you activate FeedBurner Stats for your feed, blog or website?
If you’ve burned a feed, FeedBurner Stats is automatically activated for that feed.
To configure FeedBurner Stats for your blog or website, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your FeedBurner account and click your feed
- Select FeedBurner Stats from the Analyze tab at the bottom of the menu on the left
- Check “Track visitors, page views, referrers…” and then click [Save]
- Choose your blogging platform from the drop-down menu and follow the instructions
- Once the code is in place, you'll start seeing your site tracking statistics within the hour
What else should I know?
Read more about FeedBurner Stats in this blog post.
I still have questions.
No problem. Visit us in the FeedBurner Support Forums, where FeedBurner staffers and expert users are available to offer advice and suggestions.