A parent’s consent is required for children and teens under their country’s minimum age requirement to use Google’s services. When providing this consent, the parent must agree to supervise the Google Account
If you don't wish to consent to your child’s continued use of Google’s services, you can also delete his or her Google Account.
How supervision works
What parents can see & do
If you, as a parent, consent to your child’s continued use of Google’s services and you agree to supervise your child’s Google Account, you can use Family Link to manage things like:
- Update your child’s account info and some settings
- Delete your child’s account
- Help your child sign in to other devices with their Google Account
- Manage settings like Web and App Activity that control how Google collects and processes your child’s data
What parents can’t see or do
- Parents can’t remotely listen to their child’s phone calls
- Parents can’t remotely see what’s on their child’s screen
As a reminder, parents can always change their child’s account password and access their account, but their child will be able to tell if this happens. Google will send their child an email and sign them out of their account.
What you need
To set up supervision required by law to their child’s existing Google Account, parents must:
- Have a Google Account. If you don’t have one you can create a Google Account for free.
- Be 18 or older (or the appropriate age in their country).
- Live in the same country as their child.
To let a parent supervise their existing Google Account, a child needs to:
- Agree to parental supervision
- Live in the same country as their parent
You and your child may want to set up supervision together. To complete supervision setup, you (the parent) will need to have or create a Google Account.
Tip: If you sign in to Google products like Gmail, you already have a Google Account.
Set up supervision
- On your child’s device, click here.
- Click Set up supervision Next.
- Sign in with your parent account. Then, click Next.
- Review with your child the “About supervision” and the “Changes to your child’s Google services” screens.
- Confirm your child's account password and click Agree.
- Review the Privacy Notice, then click Agree.
- Confirm your parent account password.
- To link your accounts, click Next.
- Follow the steps to setup supervision of your child’s account.
To set up supervision to your child’s Android device, they must remove other accounts from the device. They shouldn’t remove the supervised account.
Tip: When your child removes an account from their device, everything associated with that account is also deleted from your child’s device. This includes email, contacts, and settings.
Have your child:
- On their Android device, open the Settings app.
- Tap Accounts.
- If you don't see "Accounts," tap Users & accounts.
- Tap the account you want to remove Remove account.
- Add supervision to an Android device.
If your child has a Google Classroom account
Your child can add it back to their Android device after they have finished set up supervision.