Get an Expeditions kit
To use Google Expeditions in a group setting, you need to buy an Expeditions kit or build your own. You can also explore on your own using a compatible device.
Option 1: Buy a kit
You can buy a kit that’s compatible with virtual-reality (VR) tours or one that’s compatible with VR and augmented-reality (AR) tours.
The kits have:
- A tablet and mobile phones pre-installed with the Expeditions app
- VR viewers
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network
- A storage case
AR-compatible kits also have:
- AR-compatible mobile phones
- (Optional) Selfie sticks for AR-compatible devices
You can get kits in different sizes from various suppliers. Check the table to find a supplier for your location.
|Aquila Education||USA, EU||VR and AR|
|Best Buy Canada||Canada||VR|
|Best Buy Education||USA||VR and AR|
|Lumos Education Solutions||Singapore||VR|
|RedboxVR||UK||VR and AR|
|VRXOne||Middle East||VR and AR|
Option 2: Build your own kit
Expeditions works on Android, Chrome OS, including the Chromebook Tab 10, and Apple® iOS® devices. To build your own kit, you need:
- A mobile device for the guide—We recommend a tablet.
- Mobile phones—The devices must fit into the VR viewers you choose. See Expeditions device requirements.
- VR viewers—One per mobile device. Check the manufacturer's website to make sure they work with your devices. We recommend Google Cardboard.
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network. For details, see Set up a new router.
- The Expeditions app downloaded on all devices. For details, see Get the Expeditions app.
- (Optional) A speaker or headphones to provide sound.
- (Optional) Selfie sticks for AR-compatible devices.
Option 3: Explore on your own
To explore on your own, you need:
- An Android, Chrome OS, or iOS mobile device. See Expeditions device requirements.
- The Expeditions app. Learn how to Get the Expeditions app.
- [Optional] A Cardboard or Daydream VR viewer. Learn more about Daydream, including phones that work with Daydream.
For details on exploring on your own, see Go on a solo tour.