Get an Expeditions kit
To use Google Expeditions, you need to buy an Expeditions kit or build your own.
Option 1: Buy a kit
You can buy an Expeditions kit that contains all the hardware you need for an expedition, including:
- A tablet and mobile phones pre-installed with the Expeditions app
- Virtual-reality (VR) viewers
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network
- A storage case
The kits are available for 10, 20, or 30 students.
Kits are available from various suppliers in different countries. Check the table to find the supplier for your location.
|Best Buy Education||USA, Canada|
Option 2: Build your own kit
The Expeditions app only works with Android and Apple® iOS® devices. To build your own kit, you’ll need:
- A mobile device for the guide—we recommend a tablet.
- Mobile phones—each participant needs their own device and it must fit into the virtual-reality (VR) viewers you choose. See Mobile phone requirements.
- VR viewers—one per mobile device. Check the VR viewer website to make sure they work with your devices. We recommend Google Cardboard.
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network.
- (Optional) A speaker to provide ambient sounds.
- A gyroscope and accelerometer—essential for orientation and to see images shifting in a VR viewer
- Android 4.4 and later or iOS 8.0 and later
- 1 GB of RAM
We also recommend:
- A graphics processing unit (GPU) that can support 3D viewing
- A high-resolution screen, 720p or 1080p
- 2 GB of RAM—3 GB or 4 GB would be better
- 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi support