Get an Expeditions kit
To use Google Expeditions in a group setting, you need to buy an Expeditions kit or build your own. You can also explore on your own using a compatible device.
Option 1: Buy a kit
You can buy a kit that’s compatible with virtual-reality (VR) tours or one that’s compatible with VR and augmented-reality (AR) tours.
The kits have:
- A tablet and mobile phones pre-installed with the Expeditions app
- VR viewers
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network
- A storage case
AR-compatible kits also have:
- AR-compatible mobile phones
- (Optional) Selfie sticks for AR-compatible devices
You can get kits in different sizes from various suppliers. Check the table to find a supplier for your location.
|Aquila Education||USA, EU||VR and AR|
|Best Buy Canada||Canada||VR|
|Best Buy Education||USA||VR and AR|
|Lumos Education Solutions||Singapore||VR|
|RedboxVR||UK||VR and AR|
|VRXOne||Middle East||VR and AR|
Option 2: Build your own kit
Expeditions works on Android, Chrome OS, and Apple® iOS® devices.
Note: You can now guide expeditions on Chrome OS devices. For full Expeditions support, your Chrome OS device will need to be running Chrome OS 76, coming in August 2019, and Android 9. To track the latest updates, follow the Chrome releases Keyword blog.
To build your own kit, you need:
- A mobile device for the guide—We recommend a tablet.
- Mobile phones—The devices must fit into the VR viewers you choose. See Expeditions device requirements.
- VR viewers—One per mobile device. Check the manufacturer's website to make sure they work with your devices. We recommend Google Cardboard.
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network. For details, see Set up a new router.
- The Expeditions app downloaded on all devices. For details, see Get the Expeditions app.
- (Optional) A speaker or headphones to provide sound.
- (Optional) Selfie sticks for AR-compatible devices.
Option 3: Explore on your own
To explore on your own, you need:
- An Android, Chrome OS, or iOS mobile device. See Expeditions device requirements.
- The Expeditions app. Learn how to Get the Expeditions app.
- [Optional] A Cardboard or Daydream VR viewer. Learn more about Daydream, including phones that work with Daydream.
For details on exploring on your own, see Go on a solo tour.