Get an Expeditions kit
To use Google Expeditions, you need to buy an Expeditions kit or build your own.
Option 1: Buy a kit
- A tablet and mobile phones
- Virtual-reality (VR) viewers
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network
- A storage case
The kits are available for 10, 20, or 30 students. The Expeditions app is installed on all devices.
Option 2: Build your own kit
The Expeditions app only works with Android and Apple® iOS® devices. To build your own kit, you’ll need:
- A mobile device for the guide—we recommend a tablet.
- Mobile phones—each participant needs their own device and it must fit into the virtual-reality (VR) viewers you choose. See Mobile phone requirements.
- VR viewers—one per mobile device. Check the VR viewer website to make sure they work with your devices. We recommend Google Cardboard.
- A router that allows Expeditions to run over its own local Wi-Fi network.
- (Optional) A speaker to provide ambient sounds.
- A gyroscope and accelerometer—essential for orientation and to see images shifting in a VR viewer
- Android 4.4 and later or iOS 8.0 and later
- 1 GB of RAM
We also recommend:
- A graphics processing unit (GPU) that can support 3D viewing
- A high-resolution screen, 720p or 1080p
- 2 GB of RAM—3 GB or 4 GB would be better
- 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz Wi-Fi support