As a Guide, you can prepare your connection to successfully lead an expedition. Downloading, leading, and connecting to an expedition can have different requirements.
Download and begin an expedition
- To install the Expeditions app and download an individual expedition, you need an internet connection.
- To begin an expedition, you only need a peer-to-peer network. For more details, see Set up your network.
Important: Check with your IT admin to see if your school network is turned on for peer-to-peer networking. If a peer-to-peer network isn’t available, use a standalone router or run a hotspot from a phone.
Help Explorers connect to an expedition
When you guide an expedition, you need to make sure everyone is connected on the same network. If you’re not using a router, you can connect all Explorers to a peer-to-peer network that you set up. You don’t need an internet connection to do this.
- Set up the peer-to-peer network. For more details, see Set up a peer-to-peer network.
If you need, get help from your school administrator.
- Check that you and all Explorers are connected to your peer-to-peer network.
- Open Expeditions on all devices.
- Verify how many Explorers are connected.
At the top next to People , you can see how many Explorers are connected.
If Explorers can't connect to your expedition, use the in-app troubleshooting tool:
- In an expedition, tap People .
- On the Explorer connectivity dialog box, tap Connect Explorers.
- Let the troubleshooting tool take you through the following steps:
- Tap Next or Open Wi-Fi Settings.
- When all screens are on, tap Next.
- Tap the Invite Explorers link to send a new invitation.
- When you're all connected to the same network, tap Next.
- Check the number of Explorers you have connected.
- If everyone isn't connected, tap Invite More.
- If no Explorers are connected, switch peer-to-peer networks or routers and start step 1 again.
If an Explorer's device can't find the peer-to-peer network, verify that Wi-Fi is enabled on the device.
- Tap Settings Wi-Fi.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is On and the device is connected to the same network as your guide device.
If Explorers select Guide or the wrong expedition, tell them to leave the incorrect expedition:
- Tell Explorers to tap Close and confirm.
- Tell them to tap Join to select Explorer role.
- Give Explorers the necessary information to join the correct expedition and tell them to join it.