Fix connectivity issues
As a Guide, you can prepare your connection to successfully lead an expedition. Downloading, leading, and connecting to an expedition can have different requirements.
Download and begin an expedition
- To install the Expeditions app and download an individual expedition, you need an Internet connection.
- To begin an expedition, you only need a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network.
Important: Check with your IT admin to see if your school Wi-Fi network is turned on for peer-to-peer networking. If a peer-to-peer network isn’t available, use a standalone router or run a hotspot from a phone.
Help explorers connect to an expedition
When you begin an expedition, you need to make sure everyone is connected:
- Connect to a local Wi-Fi network (not Internet).
- Open Expeditions on all devices.
- Verify that explorers have connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Guide.
- Verify how many explorers are connected.
If explorers can't connect to your expedition, use the in-app troubleshooting tool:
- In an expedition, tap People .
- On the Explorer connectivity dialog box, tap Connect Explorers.
- The troubleshooting tool will take you through the following steps:
- Tap Next or Open Wi-Fi Settings.
- When all screens are on, tap Next.
- Tap the Invite Explorers link to send a new invitation.
- When you're all connected to the same network tap Next.
- Check the number of explorers you have connected.
- If everyone isn't connected, tap Invite More.
- If no explorers are connected, switch Wi-Fi networks or routers, and start step 1 again.
If an explorer's phone can't find the Wi-Fi network, verify that Wi-Fi is enabled on the device.
- Tap Settings Wi-Fi.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is On and the device is connected to the same network as your guide device.