Prepare to lead an expedition
Before you can lead an expedition, you'll need to complete a few setup steps to prepare your teacher and student devices and ensure a smooth trip.
1. Install Google Expeditions on classroom devices
Teachers (guides) and students (explorers) use the same app.
For Android devices:
- Go to the Expeditions app in the Google Play Store. Alternatively, you can search for Expeditions at http://play.google.com/store/.
- Tap Install to add the app to the device.
- Tap Open, or tap to find Expeditions in your list of apps.
For iOS devices:
- Go to the Expeditions app in the iTunes Apps Store. Alternatively, you can search for Expeditions at https://itunes.apple.com.
- Tap Get > Install to add the app to the device.
Note: If you build your own Google Expeditions kit, make sure your devices meet the app requirements.
2. Check your Wi-Fi
Be sure you have completed the Wi-Fi configuration steps before you attempt to lead an expedition. Remember that you'll need an internet connection to install the app or download an individual expedition, but you only need a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network to lead an expedition. Check with your IT admin to see if your school Wi-Fi network is enabled for peer-to-peer networking. If it isn't, you can use a standalone router or run a hotspot from a phone.
When you take a tour or start your own expedition, check to make sure your device is connected to the Wi-Fi network that you have set up.
- Tap Settings Wi-Fi.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is On and that you're connected to a network.
3. Try a demo
After you install Expeditions, you can follow a demo expedition. Expeditions is a group experience with the teacher acting as guide and students following along as explorers. The tour will show you the difference in the experiences. You can watch the tour in stereoscopic-screen mode using a phone and a virtual reality (VR) viewer or you can watch it in full-screen mode on a phone or tablet without a viewer.
To view the demo:
- Open the Expeditions app.
- If this is your first time in the app, tap See What It’s Like.
If you previously selected a role, tap Guide or Explorer at the top of the screen, then tap See What It’s Like.
- If you are using a viewer, place the phone in your viewer.
If you are not using a viewer, tap Full Screen to watch the demo in full-screen mode.
- Tap the back arrow to leave the demo.
- Pick your role to begin an expedition.
4. Download an expedition
You can choose from hundreds of expeditions to share with your class. You'll need an internet connection to download individual expeditions.
To download an expedition:
- In the Expeditions app, make sure your role is guide.
If you previously selected the explorer role, tap Explorer at the top of the screen, then tap Guide.
- Search for a title or scroll through the list.
- Tap an expedition to begin downloading it.
Expeditions you've downloaded will have a white checkmark in the lower right corner of the cover photo.
5. Begin an expedition
After you've completed the steps above, you're ready to lead an expedition. See Begin an expedition for instructions.