Set up your network
You only need an internet connection to download, install, and update the Expeditions app, download expeditions, or explore a tour on your own.
As the guide leading an expedition, you and your explorers must be on the same network.
You have 3 options to set up your device and your explorers on the same network:
- Option 1: Set up a new router—we recommend this option.
- Option 2: Set up a peer-to-peer network.
- Option 3: Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Some school networks might allow both peer-to-peer connections and an internet connection. Ask your school administrator about your network to find out if it does both.
If there is no Wi-Fi network at your school or peer-to-peer connections aren't allowed, you can set up your own network with a router. This network will be separate from any other school network and it doesn’t need internet access.
You need the router network information to set it up. Usually, you find the information at the router base:
- Wi-Fi name or Service Set Identifier (SSID)
- Wi-Fi or SSID key
- Management URL, username, and password
Important: We recommend a 5 GHz network for the best experience. However, a 2.4 GHz network also works.
Connect to the router network
- On your computer, open the Network Settings.
- Select the router's Wi-Fi name or SSID.
- Enter the Wi-Fi or SSID key.
Set up the router
- In your browser address bar, enter the Management login URL.
- When prompted, enter the Management username and password.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to complete the router setup.
Note: For greater security, you can create a password using WPA2 (a security technology used on Wi-Fi networks) during the setup.
If you don’t have internet access or a router, you need a peer-to-peer network to guide an expedition. A peer-to-peer network connects the individual Expeditions devices to each other. For more details, see What's a peer-to-peer network?
Check with your organization’s IT administrator to see if your network is enabled for peer-to-peer networking.
How to set up a peer-to-peer network
First, you set up the peer-to-peer network on your computer. Then, see that all devices—your own and explorers’ devices—are connected to the network you created. For Windows® computers, check your device support information for more details. These are the instructions for a Mac®:
- Click Wi-Fi Create network.
- Enter a network name, for example, teacher, and then click Create.
- Select a channel.
- Give your Explorers these instructions to join your network:
- On their devices, tap Settings Wi-Fi.
- Choose an option:
- On Android, tap Add network.
- On Apple® iOS®, at Choose a network, tap Other.
- Choose an option:
- Tap the name of the network you created.
- Enter your network name.
- Tap Connect.
- Check that all Explorers are connected to your network
Option 3: Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot
If there is no Wi-Fi network at your school or peer-to-peer connections aren't allowed, you can use an Android or iOS phone to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Important: The number of devices that a hotspot can support varies, depending on the device. Check your device's support information for more details.
Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using an Android phone
- On your Android phone, tap Settings .
- Tap Tethering and Mobile Hotspot.
- Tap Mobile Hotspot Set up Mobile Hotspot.
- At Network name, enter a name for your mobile hotspot.
- At Security, tap WPA2/PSK.
- Enter a password.
- Tap Save.
Note: Exact instructions might vary, depending on the Android device age and model.
Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using an iOS phone
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Personal Hotspot.
- Next to Personal Hotspot, tap On to turn on the hotspot.
- Tap Wi-Fi Password and enter a new password.