Set up your Wi-Fi network
You only need an Internet connection to install the Google Expeditions app, download an expedition, or explore a tour on your own. You need a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network to lead an expedition. A peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network connects the individual Expeditions devices to each other.
Some Wi-Fi networks may allow both peer-to-peer connections and an Internet connection. Ask your school administrator about your network to find out if it does both.
If your school doesn't have a Wi-Fi network, or if peer-to-peer connections aren't allowed on your school network, you can set up your own in a few ways:
- Use a router to create a new network.
- Use an Android or Apple® iOS® phone to create a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Set up a new router
To set up a new router for the Expeditions devices, you need its network information, which is usually found on a label at the router's base.
On this label, you find the router's:
- Wi-Fi name or Service Set Identifier (SSID)
- Wi-Fi or SSID key
- Management URL, username, and password
Important: We recommend a 5 GHz network for the best experience. However, a 2.4 GHz network also works.
Connect to the router's network
- On your computer, open the Network Settings.
- Select the router's Wi-Fi name or SSID.
- Enter the Wi-Fi or SSID key.
Set up the router
- In your browser address bar, enter the Management login URL.
- When prompted, enter the Management username and password.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to complete the router setup.
Tip: For greater security, you can create a password using WPA2 during the setup.
Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot
If your school doesn't have a Wi-Fi network, or if it doesn't allow for peer-to-peer networking, you can use an Android or iOS phone to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Important: The number of devices that a hotspot can support varies depending on the device. Check your device's support information for more details.
Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using an Android phone
- Go to Settings Wireless & networks.
- Tap More .
- Tap Tethering & portable hotspot.
- Tap Set up Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Create a Network name and Password, then tap Save.
- Tap Portable Wi-Fi hotspot and tap On to turn on the hotspot.
Set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using an iOS phone
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Personal Hotspot.
- Next to Personal Hotspot, tap On to turn on the hotspot.
- Tap Wi-Fi Password and enter a new password.