Currently, writing and drawing on work is available only on Android and iOS mobile devices.
On the Classroom mobile app, you can draw and write on your assignments. You can underline words, highlight text, draw shapes, and leave notes. For example, you might highlight a sentence, color a map, sketch a plant cell, or show your work on a math problem.
You can draw and write notes on these types of files:
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Microsoft Office documents
- JPEG or GIF
Write and save notes
- Tap Classroom the class.
- Open the assignment for the file you want to write on.
- On the Your work card, tap Expand .
- Choose an option:
- To open a file that is already attached to the assignment, tap it.
- To open a new file, tap Add attachment, upload the file, and then tap it.
- In the top-right corner, tap Edit .
- Make any notes or drawings.
(Learn more about colors and pen sizes below.)
- Choose an option to save your notes:
- On an Android device, tap More Save.
- On an iOS device, tap Save.
- Choose an option to discard your changes:
- On an Android device, tap Back Discard.
- On an iOS device, tap Back Discard.
How notes are saved
|If the original file was||It's saved as|
|Google Docs file||Separate PDF|
|Microsoft Office document||Separate PDF|
|JPEG or PNG image file||Edited file that replaces original|
|Edited file that replaces original|
Choose a tool
You can find all tools at the bottom of the app screen.
|Tool||Use it to|
|Select||Select a note to resize or move it.|
|Erase||Erase a note.|
|Write||Write or draw lines with a pen.|
|Mark||Write or draw lines with a marker.|
|Highlight||Highlight text or images.|
|Add text||Add a text note.|
Change a tool's color or size
You can use different sizes and colors with writing and highlighting tools.
Double-tap Write , Mark , or Highlight to see color and size options,
- To see more colors, tap the Up arrow .
Tap a color or point size to use it.
Add a text note
Tap Add text .
- Drag your finger to create a text field.
- Enter your message.
- (Optional) To customize your text:
- To make the text larger, select it and pinch 2 fingers apart.
- To make the text smaller, select it and pinch 2 fingers together.
- To resize the text box, tap a corner and drag it.
Erase a mark
Tap Erase .
- Tap a mark to erase it.
- (Optional) To delete all marks on the page, double-tap Erase Clear page.
Resize or move a note or image
You can resize or move a new note or image. Before you can select a saved note or image to resize or move it, change it first.
- Add a text note or image.
- Tap Select and tap the note or image.
- Pinch 2 fingers apart or together on the note or image to resize it.
- Drag the note or image to move it.
Zoom in or out on a note
- To zoom in, pinch 2 fingers apart on the note.
- To zoom out, pinch 2 fingers together on the note.
- To pan over the drawing, drag 2 fingers across the page.
Undo or redo actions
- Tap Undo or Redo to immediately cancel or redo an action. You can use it repeatedly for consecutive actions.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.