Write notes on your work
You can use Classroom’s drawing and writing tools to draw and write on your assignments. You can underline words, highlight text, draw shapes, and leave notes. For example, you can highlight a sentence, color a map, sketch a plant cell, or show your work on a math problem.
You can draw and write on Google Docs files, and Adobe® PDF®, and Microsoft® Office® documents.
Note: Drawing and writing tools are only available in the Classroom mobile app for Android and Apple® iOS®.
How to write notes
- Tap Classroom .
- Tap the class and tap the assignment.
- If your teacher attached a file, tap the thumbnail to open and review it.
- If you created a new PDF, it opens as a blank file and you can write notes or draw images on it.
For more information on creating an attachment, see Submit an assignment.
- Make any notes. For details, see Use the drawing and writing tools.
- To save your notes, tap Save .
Important: Any changes you make aren’t automatically saved. If you don't tap Save or if you leave the screen or tap Back before saving, you’ll lose your work.
- (Optional) To open your work in Google Drive, tap New tab .
How notes are saved
- If the original file was a Docs or Office document, the edited file is saved as a PDF.
- If the original file was an image or PDF, the edited file replaces the original file.
Choose a tool
You can find all tools at the bottom of the app screen.
|Use this tool||To do this|
|Write||Write or draw lines with a pen. You can change the width of lines with pressure.|
|Mark||Write or draw lines of even width with a marker.|
|Highlight||Highlight text or images.|
|Select||Select a note to resize or move it.|
|Erase||Erase a note.|
|Add text||Add a text note.|
Change a tool's color or size
The write, mark, and highlight tools are available in different sizes and colors.
- To select a tool, tap it.
- To change the tool’s color or size, tap the Up arrow .
Add a text note
- Tap Add text .
- Drag your finger to create a text field.
- Enter your message.
- To make the text larger, pinch 2 fingers apart.
- To make the text smaller, pinch 2 fingers together.
- To resize the text box, tap a corner and drag it.
Erase a mark
Tap Erase .
- To erase a mark, tap it.
- (Optional) To delete all marks on the page, double-tap Erase Clear page.
Resize or move a note or image
- Tap Select and tap the note or image.
- To resize, pinch 2 fingers apart or together on the note or image.
- To move a note or image, drag it to where you want it.
Zoom in or out on a note
- To zoom in, pinch 2 fingers apart on the note.
- To zoom out, pinch 2 fingers together on the note.
- To pan over the drawing, drag 2 fingers across the page.
Undo or redo actions
- Tap Undo to immediately cancel an action. You can use it repeatedly to undo consecutive actions.
- To redo an action, tap Redo . You can use it to redo consecutive actions..