We frequently add new features to Classroom. Check out this page to learn more about these new features.
To get the latest updates on Classroom:
Update on free premium Meet features
- Update on free premium Meet features—The promotion for free access to larger meetings and live streaming ended September 30, 2020. To live stream or host large meetings you can upgrade to Google Workspace for Education Plus.
The promotion for free meeting recordings is still active. A meeting host can record and share a meeting within their domain for 30 days.
To track who attends your class, you can get Google Meet Attendance reports. Learn how to track attendance with Google Meet.
Recent updatesOctober 2020
Blog post (English only)
SIS Grade Export—If you use Classroom with Google Workspace for Education, you can export grades directly to your student information system (SIS). This feature is currently available for Infinite Campus only. More SIS partnerships are in development.
Originality report updates—Originality reports have new features:
- You can now run originality reports in English, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish.
- Teachers and students can print or save originality reports.
Class invite links—In addition to email invites and class codes, teachers can now invite students with a link.
This feature is rolling out over the next week.
Applied Digital Skills—If you use Applied Digital Skills, it is now better integrated with Classroom.
- Classroom will be available in 10 more languages.
- Teachers will be able to share an assignment with a link.
- Admins will be able to review audit logs and Classroom analytics.
Only teachers can create video meetings in Classroom. All video meetings created in Classroom are considered nicknamed meetings, so students can’t start a meeting before the teacher, or rejoin the meeting if the teacher is the last participant to leave. These permissions can vary based on how your admin sets up Meet for your school.
To use Meet in Classroom:
- Teachers and students must use school accounts and be in the same domain.
- Admins have to turn on Google Meet.
Admins can find more support in Set up Meet for distance learning.
In addition, premium Google Workspace for Education Plus features are available for free to all Classroom educators using Education Fundamentals through September 30, 2020. These features include live streaming, recording, and 250-person class video meetings.
Video meetings are available on the web and mobile versions of Classroom.
- Originality reports—Teachers can now turn on originality reports for 3 assignments per class. For students, the reports highlight source material in their work and flag missing citations so they can improve their writing. After students submit work, teachers can view reports to verify academic integrity and provide feedback from the grading tool.
Admins can upgrade to unlimited originality reports with Google Workspace for Education Plus.
- Rubrics—Teachers can now create and reuse rubrics. As students complete work, they can check an assignment’s rubric to help stay on track. When teachers grade rubrics, level selections automatically calculate a total grade that can also be adjusted manually. After work is returned, students can quickly check their rubric feedback.
More about rubrics:
- Customizable—Up to 50 criteria and 10 performance levels
- Shareable—Import and export options when you create assignments
- Reusable—Reuse a rubric in another assignment
Note: Rubrics is rolling out course by course, and will be fully available in a few days.
New mobile features:
- See overall grades—If teachers share overall grades, students can see their overall grades on a mobile device (Android and iOS).
- See rubrics—Teachers and students can see an assignment's rubric on a mobile device (Android and iOS).
New beta programs:
Go to the Classroom updates archive.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.