This page is for teachers
To enroll students in your class, you can send them an email invite or share the class code.
- Email invite—After you send the invite, students can click Join in the email or on the class card.
- Class code—After you share the code, students enter it in Classroom to join your class.
If students have trouble with a class code, you can reset it, or send them an email invite instead.
Note: Students can unenroll themselves from classes. If they unenroll, their grades are removed.
You can send an email invite to individual students or to a group of students.
Note: To invite a group of students, you can use the email alias for the Google Group. You don't have to be a member or owner of the group, but you must be able to view group members and email addresses. If you can't view this information, ask your administrator to change the permissions.
- Click the class you want to invite students to.
- At the top, click People Invite students .
- Enter the email address of a student or group.
As you enter text, an autocomplete list might appear under Search Results.
- (Optional) Under Search results, click a student or a group.
- (Optional) To invite more students or groups, repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Click Invite.
Note: If you have trouble adding an email address, it might be outside of your school’s domain.
After you send the invite:
- Your class list updates to show the names of invited students.
- Your students can click Join in the email or on their class card.
Each class you create has a class code. You share the code with students so they can join your class. To share the code, paste it into a message, display it with a projector, or write it on the board.
- Click the classSettings .
- (Optional) To copy the code so you can paste it into a message, under General, next to the code, click the Down arrow Copy.
- (Optional) To display the code with a projector, under General, next to the code, click the
Down arrow Display.
To get a larger view of the code, click Full screen .
Tip: You can quickly display the code from the Stream page. Under the class name, next to the code, click Full screen . For a larger view, click Full screen again.
- Give the students these instructions:
On the Classes page, click Add Join class.
Enter the code and click Join.
If you’re an administrator, to turn the setting on or off, go to Configure class settings.
When you create a class, Classroom automatically creates a class code. If students have trouble with the class code, you can reset it. If you don't want new students to join your class, you can disable the code. You can enable it any time.
Note: When you reset or enable a class code, Classroom creates a new code for the class. The previous code no longer works.
- Click the class Settings .
- Under General, next to the class code, click the Down arrow and choose an option:
- To display the code, click Display.
- To copy the code, click Copy.
- To reset the code, click Reset.
- To turn the code off or on, click Disable or Enable.
- Click Save.
Class size limits
G Suite for Education accounts
- Maximum number of teachers: 20
- Maximum number of members (teachers and students): 1,000
Note: Classroom uses Google Groups for all students and teachers. Each person can only be in a certain number of groups. For more information, see the Membership section of Understand Groups policies and limits.