This article is for Google Workspace for Education teachers and students.
Your administrator creates and manages both teacher and student accounts. This includes enabling access to additional services for a user after obtaining parental consent, as well as setting age-based permissions.
I’m a teacher and need additional access in my account
Only your administrator can enable or restrict app access for an individual. Let the administrator know you'd like them to add a service to your account. Who is my administrator?
Administrators can manage how different services are used with Google Workspace accounts.
Other Google services
Administrators manage access to third-party applications for Google Workspace for Education accounts. If you encounter the error "Access blocked: Your institution's admin needs to review [app name]," you must request access from within the error message. This lets your administrator review the third-party application. Administrators can decide whether to allow or block third-party applications. Learn more about administrator third party controls.Tip: Some blocked Android apps users may not have the option to request access.
Only your administrator can enable or restrict access to services. For Google Workspace for Education accounts designated as under the age of 18, there are additional restrictions for some Google services.
If the administrator has enabled YouTube access, users designated as under the age of 18 in primary and secondary (K-12) institutions will have restrictions on YouTube content and features. Here are some of the features that won’t be available:
- Create channels, playlists, stories, shorts, live streams, or upload videos
- Watch live stream videos (only turned off for Moderate or Strict Restricted Mode)
- See or post comments
- Participate in live chat
- Buy channel memberships, creator merchandise, movies and TV shows, Super Chat and Super Stickers, or participate in YouTube Giving fundraisers
- Use apps, including YouTube Go, YouTube Mobile Web, YouTube Music, YouTube Studio, YouTube TV, and YouTube VR
- Access other features, including:
- Receive most notifications
- Cast on TV
- Connect game accounts
- Use Incognito mode
- Get personalized ads
- Turn Restricted Mode on or off
- Filter video results (by upload date, for example)
Any user can still watch videos in Classroom and Google Workspace products. All users can continue to link and preview videos in Docs.
Note: Videos may be unavailable to certain users if they are published as private, if there are country-level restrictions, or if they have other types of access restrictions.
Google Workspace for Education users under the age of 18:
- Can only see content rated Everyone, Everyone 10+, Teen, or equivalent ratings in your country/region. For details, go to Apps & Games content ratings on Google Play.
- Can’t purchase any Google Play content from the Apps & Games, Movies & TV, and Books categories.
- Can’t read or listen to sexually explicit books for Books on Google Play.
Google Maps and Google Earth
If Google Maps and Google Earth are turned on for your school, Google Workspace for Education users under the age of 18 can't:
- Access features that require payments
- Create public posts, such as comments and reviews
- Participate in Local Guides
- Turn on Location History for their Google Workspace for Education account
- Access Google Maps Timeline
- Share their location
If Google Photos is turned on for your school, Google Workspace for Education users under the age of 18 can’t:
- See prompts for paid features
- Use partner sharing
- The following restrictions will start in November 2023:
- Share or receive photos and videos within Google Photos
- Participate in private conversations in Google Photos where photos and videos are shared. Learn more about sharing photos and videos.
Other services not available to users under 18
Google Workspace for Education users under the age of 18 can't use:
- Brand Accounts
- Campaign Manager
- DoubleClick Studio
- Google Ad Manager
- Google Ads
- Google AdSense
- Google Analytics
- Google Cloud Platform
- Google Pay
- Google Play Console
- Google Public Data Explorer
- Location History
- Merchant Center
- Partner Dash
- Play Books Partner Center
- Search Ads 360