Important: BigQuery logs + Data Studio are only available for Workspace for Education Plus users.
Activity logs in BigQuery let admins view usage and adoption reports with customizable Data Studio templates.
If BigQuery Export of your audit logs isn’t configured from your admin console, set it up first. Check if BigQuery is enabled on your admin console.
If this isn’t configured yet:
Optional: Use BigQuery Export without a billing account.
You can enable the BigQuery Export feature without a billing account set up on Google Cloud Console. If you do not have a billing account set up, you’ll have a Sandbox Account created. While it’s sufficient for testing purposes, we recommend to familiarize yourself with the limits of a long- term use of a Sandbox Account.
How to set up a BigQuery project
- Log into console.cloud.google.com.
- Create a new project.
How to set up a BigQuery export
- Log into admin.google.com.
- From the main menu, click Reports.
- On the left, scroll to “BigQuery Export.”
- Click the GCP project you made in Step 1.
- Create a dataset name.
- Click Save.
How to create a data source in Data Studio for my activity BigQuery export table
Follow the steps to add your Big Query activity table as a data source. Click here for more info and customization.
- Sign in to Data Studio.
- On the top left, click Create > Data Source.
- Select the BigQuery connector.
- On the left side of the screen, click My Projects > click the project and dataset you created for your “BigQuery Export” > select “Activity”.
- Make sure to check the box under “Partitioned Table”.
- Click Connect.
Optional: Rename your data source to something you can remember.