Important: This only applies to assignments graded with Google Assignments.
You and your teaching assistants can enter grades in the Assignments grading tool. Each grader needs a Google Workspace for Education account.
When you return an assignment, ownership of the assignment file transfers back to the student. Students can then view their feedback and grades.
Grade an assignment
Change the grade denominator
The default grade denominator is 100. You can change it to any whole number greater than zero. You can change the grade denominator at any time, but the change affects only unreturned assignments. Returned assignments save their original denominator.
You can return an assignment without a grade. However, the LMS can’t distinguish between ungraded and unsubmitted assignments.
Add a grade
Go to your LMS.
Click the assignmentOpen in Assignments.
Click the student's submissionGrading .
Under Grade, enter the grade. Your grade saves as a draft.
To grade another assignment, next to the student's name, click the Down arrow and select another student.
Sync a grade with your LMS
When you return assignment files to your students, Assignments automatically syncs your feedback and grades to your LMS. The grades appear in your LMS gradebook.
Return an assignment
When you return an assignment, ownership of the assignment file transfers back to the student. Students can view your comments and suggestions.
A copy of the returned assignment saves to your Google Drive. You have a copy of the graded assignment in case a student contests their grade, for accreditation purposes, or to use as evidence of plagiarism. Even if the student changes or deletes the original assignment, your copy of the assignment is safe.
The student receives an email notifying them the assignment was graded. The email has a link to view the graded work in Assignments. The student can see the grade, margin comments, and overall feedback.
After the student receives the graded assignment, they can respond to individual margin comments or revise and resubmit their file. The student can start discussions or close the comments. The instructor’s original comments save to their copy of the returned assignment.
Return work from the grading tool
Return an assignment to one student
Choose an option:
- At the top right, click ReturnReturn again to confirm.
- Next to Return, click the Down arrow Return this submissionReturn again to confirm.
Return an assignment to multiple students
- Next to Return, click the Down arrow .
- In the menu that opens, check the box for Return multiple submissions.
- In the Return multiple submissions window, review your selections.
- (Optional) To unselect students, uncheck the box next to their name.
- (Optional) To return submissions in bulk:
- Next to the first checkbox, click the Down arrow to expand the options.
- Choose Select all, Unselect all, or Select draft grades only.
- To return the assignment, click Return.
Return work from Assignments
Go to your LMS.
Open the assignment you want to returnclick Open in Assignments.
- Select one of the following:
- To return work to one student—Next to the student name, check the box.
- To return work to multiple students—Next to the student names, check the boxes.
- To return work to all students—Above the student names, check the box next to Turned in.
- Click Return.