/earth/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Google Earth Pro, Mars. All global map layers for Mars are broken except default Visible and CTX.
Hi, I am a Mars researcher and longtime Google earth pro user and today some of global mars map layers stopped loading. All of the global map layers except for "Colorized Terrain" (MOLA) and the default "Visible Imagery" will not load. I have attempted all "repair tool" procedures except for "delete my places." This is not the first time the app has broken, and it did get fixed in the past. Google Earth Pro has been the most convenient tool for quickly exploring my research area and communicating the project to others more easily than with ArcGIS or the half-functional, feature deficient, web-based Google Mars.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (18)
Volunteer contributor, not a Google employee
Relevant Answer
Thanks for the report John, I'll pass it on to Google and let you know if I hear anything.

For this type of thing you can also send feedback via the option in the Help menu.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have had the same issue John. Only CTX and visible are working. I do research also. I would also make you aware that the profile tool is not working either. When I do crater profiles it links to the terrain on Earth, not the terrain I am looking at on Mars. Just FYI.
marked this as an answer
Volunteer contributor, not a Google employee
Relevant Answer
Hi Douglas, Google is looking into the layers issue for Mars.

For the elevation profile, yes, it's always been like that on Mars and on the moon. I'm afraid it's unlikely that will be changed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same problem.  Google, please try to fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi All
I have also noticed the problem with the profile tool. You may also have noticed this but as long as you move the endpoint of the profile around it actually does show elevations on Mars - it is only when you let it go that it changes to the Earth. In other words if you are quick or do a screendump you can actually get the profile you want. Rather inconvenient but it works.
This also hints that a fix should not be terribly difficult - all you need to do is to stop it from shifting to Earth data once the profile is locked in place. You don't need another routine - all you need to do is to disable one.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have never had that problem. Any line I draw on Mars will return the correct profile, even after releasing the mouse button. However the problem I do have with this is that any profile drawn on mars will return a graph and scale that is upside-down. The numbers are still accurate, however so it's more of an inconvenience instead of bad data. I have verified the accuracy of the elevation data by comparing it to the MOLA DEM imported into ArcGIS. So what you folks are experiencing is unusual from what I've seen.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's been over two weeks, is there any information on whether this thread's original concern is being addressed?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am also wondering about the status of any fix for this problem.  A bit surprised that it has gone on for so long.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What I was hoping for was a reply from Google, where they state whether or  not they will restore the missing layers. I think that a lot of us have invested time and effort into creating great teaching materials based on Google Earth Pro - Mars. I would like to know if I should discard the whole thing and move on to another platform or it is worth while waiting for Google to fix the issue. I appreciate that it can be difficult to say when a problem will be fixed - but living the whole issue totally open is not a good service to the community.
I was a fantastic resource and I would love to see it back on line - but if it doesn't I really would like to be informed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It seems that something in the data was broken, the program has not been updated for a year.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/earth/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic