You can use Keyhole Markup Language (KML) files to view and share Google Earth information. These files store geographic data and content associated with Google Earth. Learn more about KML files.
- On your computer, open Google Earth.
- On the left, click Projects .
- Click the New Project button.
- To add a file directly to your computer, select Import KML File.
- To add a file from your Google Drive or a shared file, select Import KML file from Drive.
- Select the KML file you want to open.
Use Google Earth to open KML files
You can view most simple KML files with Google Earth for Chrome (version 9) or in the Google Earth app on your mobile device.
If you’re unable to view complex KML files, use Google Earth for desktop (version 7), which supports all KML features.
Import this info from KML files
- Some custom icons and overlay images hosted on other websites won’t work.
- For more information on how to use KML features, go to KML support in Google Earth.