You can view and share Google Earth information using KML files. KML (Keyhole Markup Language) is a file format created for storing geographic data and associated content with Google Earth. Learn what KML files are.
If you have a KML or KMZ file from an older version of Google Earth, you can open it in Google Earth for iPhone and iPad.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Google Earth app .
- Tap Menu Projects .
- At the top, tap Open.
- To add a file directly from your device, tap Import KML File.
- To select a file from your Google Drive or a shared file, tap Open project from Drive.
- Tap the file you want to add.
- To return to the map and view the file, tap Back .
Info you can import and export
You can view most simple KML files in Google Earth for iPhone and iPad.
What you can import now
- Placemarks, lines/paths and polygons
- Image overlays (a.k.a ground overlays)
- Simple network links
- Simple KML tours without audio
- To explore a KML file’s folders, use Google Earth on your computer.
- You can turn on or off the entire KML file in the app.
- For a detailed list of which features are available, learn more about KML support in Google Earth.
Report a problem
If you still have trouble with KML files, tell us about the problem.