Getting to know Google Earth
The following diagram describes some of the features available in the main window of Google Earth:
- Search panel - Use this to find places and directions and manage search results. Google Earth EC may display additional tabs here.
- 3D Viewer - View the globe and its terrain in this window.
- Toolbar buttons - See below.
- Navigation controls - Use these to zoom, look and move around. See 'Using the Navigation Controls'.
- Sign in with your Google account - When you sign in, you can share to Google+ or email what you're viewing in Google Earth.
- Street View - Zoom in to the map then drag the pegman to view street-level imagery.
- Places panel - Use this to locate, save, organize and revisit placemarks.
- Search in Places - Find your places quickly by searching for them.
- Layers panel - Use this to display points of interest.
- Earth Gallery - Click this to import exciting content from the Earth Gallery
- Tour Guide - explore interesting places around the world.
|Conceal or the display the side bar||Display sunlight across the landscape|
|Add a placemark for a location||View the sky, moon and planets|
|Add a polygon||Measure a distance or area size|
|Add a path (line or lines)||Email a view or image.|
|Add an image overlay on the Earth||Print the current view of the Earth|
|Record a tour||Show the current view in Google Maps|
|Display historical imagery|