Record & play tours of the world on Google Earth
You can use Google Earth to record a tour of the world that you can share with others.
Which versions of Google Earth have tours
You can create and play tours on computer versions of Google Earth 5 and higher.
Set up tour options
Choose a flight path, speed, and file size for your tour:
- Open Google Earth.
- In the top menu bar, click Tools > Options in Windows or Google Earth > Preferences on Macs.
- Click the "Touring" tab.
- Under “When creating a tour from a folder,” choose settings for:
- Time Between Features: to control how fast the viewer flies to each location
- Wait at Features: to control how long the tour stops at each location
- Fly along lines: to have your tour follow a specific flight path
- Show balloons when waiting at features: to place a balloon at each site when the tour pauses
- Under “When creating a tour from a line,” set your:
- Camera Tilt Angle: choose which perspective you’d like people to see the location from
- Camera Range: decide how much of the location or site they can see
- Speed: set the overall speed of the tour
- Under “When creating a tour from a track,” choose:
- Speed: decide how fast the tour runs overall
- Seconds Between Key Frames: choose how long the tour pauses between different images
- Under “When recording a tour,” slide the slider to the left to create a “Smaller File.” Slide it to the right to create a “Higher Fidelity” file, which is higher quality and takes up more memory.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
Record a tour
- Open Google Earth.
- Click Add > Tour or, in the bar above the globe, click Record .
- To start recording, go to the lower left corner in the media player and click the Record/Stop button .
- To record audio at the same time, click the Microphone , then the Record/Stop button .
- Navigate to each place you want to visit or go to the left-hand panel under “Places” and click on a placemark to fly to that location.
- When you’re finished recording, click the Record/Stop button .
- In the lower right corner, a media player will appear and the tour will start playing.
- To save the tour, in the media player, click Save .
- In the box that opens, type a name in the “Name” field.
- To add more info about the tour, use the “Description” and “View” tabs.
- Click OK.
Create more advanced tours
Play a tour
There are two ways to watch a tour:
- Go to the left-hand panel under “Places” > ”My Places.”
- Double-click a tour you’ve saved. A media player will appear in the lower left corner of the screen and the tour will start playing.
- Go to the left-hand panel under “Places.”
- In the bottom right, click the Play Tour button. It will look like this or this .
Use the media player to control how the tour plays back:
- Click the Pause button to pause it.
- Click the Play button to resume playing.
- Click the Fast Forward and Rewind buttons or use the slider to play it forward or go back.
Note: The media player disappears if you haven’t used it in a while. Move the cursor over the place on the screen where it was to make the player show up again.