See national & international borders & labels
The Borders and Labels layer displays information for the viewing area and includes international and country borders, country names, coastlines and names of major places around the world. The Borders and Labels layer group is expandable and includes two sublayers:
You can expand the Border sublayer to control the display of the various types of borders:
- International Borders - Displayed in three colors according to political status of the border:
- Solid yellow - An "international" boundary refers to a well-defined line whose position is considered legal and final in position and status by both adjoining states and for which no dispute of any kind exists.
- Solid red - A "disputed" boundary refers to the questioned legal status of a boundary in which one or both adjoining states contest portion(s) of or an entire boundary and/or adjacent territory. The status of disputes can vary in intensity from uncontested, dormant, jointly-managed, hostile, bellicose to actual war.
- Solid orange - This color is used for two types of boundaries: treaty and provisional.
- Treaty Boundary: refers to well-defined boundary which has been established by a specific treaty, agreement, armistice or other such agreement between two or more states, yet the position and/or status is not considered to be legal and final (e.g., the final demarcation of the exact position has not occurred or the final political status is not officially resolved).
- Provisional Boundary: one for which a formal agreement has not been established between two or more states, yet the existing line acts as ade factofunctional boundary without dispute.
- Country/Region Names - Displays the names of countries/regions around the world.
- Coastlines - Indicates all boundaries dividing land from main bodies of water with a thin, yellow line.
- 1st Level Admin Borders (States/Province) - Indicates state and province boundaries, where applicable, with a light purple line and can be viewed clearly when zoomed in.
- 1st Level Admin Names (States/Province) - Provides the names of states and provinces of areas around the world. If names are not visible, try zooming in to the area.
- 2nd Level Admin Regions (Counties) - Indicates county boundaries, where applicable, with a pale green line and can be viewed clearly when zoomed in.
You can expand the Labels sublayer to control the display of the following:
- Populated Places - Denotes populous places around the world, such as cities, towns, etc.
- Alternative Place Names - Presents localized label names for various places.
- Islands - Designates island names with a clickable circular icon. Try zooming into the area if the icon is not visible.
- Water Bodies - Displays the name of major bodies of water including oceans, bays, gulfs and seas as well as underwater features.