Note: This time slider feature is available only in Google Earth 5 and later
If you have downloaded data that contains time information (for example, GPS tracks), you can view this information sequentially in Google Earth. For example, you can view GPS tracks that occurred within a specific time period and visually follow these tracks. To do this:
- If necessary, import the GPS data or other time-related data.
- In the Places panel, select this data. The time slider appears at the top of the 3D viewer with a time range that corresponds to the data you selected.
- Do any of the following:
- To re-define the time range of data displayed in the 3D viewer, drag the range marker to the right or left.
- To move the time range earlier or later, drag the time slider to the right or left. The range marker moves with the time slider so that the time range shown remains the same.
- To play an animation of the sequence, click the Play button. Note that this is only useful if only a portion of the data is defined in the time range.
Features of the time slider include:
- Click this to play an animation of a sequence. This works best if you move the range marker to define a time range smaller than the whole set. Click the adjacent buttons to step forward or back.
- Drag the range marker to the right or left to re-define the time range of data displayed.
- Click this to set options for the time slider.
- Zoom in or out to shorten or lengthen the date range covered by your timeline. This allows you to more easily see the different imagery that's available within a shorter or longer period of time. Notice that, as you zoom in or out, the Start and End dates on the timeline change.
- Drag this to move the time range earlier or later.
Note: The time slider is not available when you record movies.
You can set options for the timeline display feature. To do this:
- In the time slider, click the settings icon (see above). The Date and Time options dialog box appears. Options include:
- Start and End date/time - Set the date and time for the start and end of the timeline.
- Display time in - Choose the appropriate type of displayed time.
- Animation speed - Use this slider to set the speed of the animation that occurs when you click the play button on the time slider (see above).
- Loop animation - Select this checkbox to play your animation continuously.
- When you are finished, click OK.