Step 1: Install Duo
Duo is available on Android phones and tablets. When you sign up, you'll get a verification code on your phone.
Step 2: Verify your phone number
You can skip phone number verification. If you skip this step, you have to connect to your Google Account.Learn more about verified numbers.
- On your Android device, enter your phone number and make sure it's correct.
- Tap Agree.
- Duo will send a code in a one-time SMS message to the number that you entered. (Carrier text-message rates may apply.)
- Enter the code that you received in the text message.
- If you don't receive a text message, tap Resend SMS.
- If you have a cell connection and aren't getting the SMS, request a call by tapping Call me.
- If you continue having problems verifying your phone number, visit the verification troubleshooting article.
Step 3: Connect your Google Account
To connect your Google Account, tap Agree.
If you already use Duo on another device with your Google Account, sign in with the same account to finish setup.
After you connect Duo to your Google Account:
- You can use Duo across different devices.
- People with your phone number or Google Account info, like your Gmail address, can see that you use Duo and call you using the app.
You can add or remove your Google Account from Duo at any time.
After you verify your number on Duo
- People with your phone number can see that you use Duo and call you using the app. If you connect your Google Account, they can also connect with you across Google services.
- Duo can periodically send your contacts and location to Google.
- If you call someone not saved in your contacts, Duo will display your phone number so they can see who’s calling.
Use Duo to call your contacts
- Video calls with anyone in your contacts who uses Duo: Call friends and family across different devices like Android, iOS, computers, Nest Hub, Nest Hub Max, Lenovo Smart Display, and JBL Link View.
- High quality audio and video: Your call’s quality automatically changes, based on your connection.
- Knock Knock: You can see a live video preview before answering a call from one of your contacts.
- End-to-end encryption: Your calls are secure and can only be seen by you and the person you're talking with.