Set up Floodlight tags, activities, and groups
About creating Floodlight activities
Floodlight is a system DoubleClick Search and DoubleClick Campaign Manager use to track and report conversions. A Floodlight activity is a specific conversion you want to track, such as the completion of a purchase or a visit to a page on your site. A tag is automatically generated for each activity, and your web team installs the tag onto your site. When a visitor lands on the conversion page, the tag reports a conversion.
You can create Floodlight activities from DoubleClick Search (DS) or from DoubleClick Campaign Manager. The activities you create are visible in both your DS advertiser and the associated Campaign Manager advertiser.
When you create an activity, you choose one of the following formats for the activity's tag:
- Global site tag and Floodlight event snippet: The global site tag makes implementing Floodlight tracking easier. You'll also benefit from the latest dynamic features and integrations as they become available. The tag needs to be installed on every page of your site, and the Floodlight event snippet should be installed only on the conversion page. Learn more about using the global site tag to report Floodlight activity.
- Floodlight tag. Generates an iframe or image tag that reports a conversion. A Floodlight tag should be installed only on the conversion page. Learn how to create a Floodlight activity from DS and paste a Floodlight tag on your site.
Note: If you use Floodlight iframe or image tags, we recommend you migrate to the global site tag or use Google Tag Manager with the Conversion Linker. Floodlight iframe and image tags are not able to observe all of your conversions.
Instead of installing tags directly on your site, you can add and update the tags in Google Tag Manager. Google Tag Manager then outputs properly formatted tags on your site as needed. Learn how to create a Floodlight activity in DS and use Google Tag Manager to add the tag to your site.
Before you create a Floodlight activity in DoubleClick Search
Before you can create Floodlight activities in DS, you need to create at least one Floodlight activity group. DS uses Floodlight activity groups to organize Floodlight activities by type and by purpose, in the same way that you use ad groups to organize ads and biddable items. Learn more about Floodlight activities and groups.
Special permissions required
To create or edit Floodlight activity groups and Floodlight activities in DoubleClick Search, your Google account needs all of the following permissions:
- In DoubleClick Search, your account needs agency manager or advertiser manager permissions.
- Your account also needs a user profile in DoubleClick Campaign Manager (DCM) with the following permissions:
- Floodlight: full access
- Access to the DCM API
Shared Floodlight configurations
If your advertiser is part of a shared Floodlight configuration, you can only create Floodlight activities from the parent advertiser. All of the child advertisers will have access to the Floodlight activities created in the parent.
- In DS, sign into the advertiser that is associated with the parent DCM advertiser and create Floodlight groups and activities from there. You'll need agency manager or advertiser manager permissions for this DS advertiser.
- In DCM, your account needs full Floodlight access and API access for the DCM parent advertiser.
Ready to get started?