Set up your first campaign
Create an engine account
A DoubleClick Search engine account is the object that connects DoubleClick Search (DS) with an existing Google AdWords, Bing Ads, Yahoo! Search Marketing, Yahoo! JAPAN (beta - learn more), or Other engine account. Each DS engine account specifies the ID or number of the account that it's connecting to, a date on which DS starts managing the account, and other settings that are specific to the type of engine.
Note the following:
Only an agency manager can create an engine account. Learn more about agency managers and other user types in DS.
Only one DS engine account can be active for each account ID or number that you have set up with the engine. For example, if you create an engine account that connects to AdWords account 123-456-7890, you can't launch that account if another DS engine account is currently active for 123-456-7890. Instead, you'll need to change the status of the other account to Delete.
To add an engine account to an advertiser in DoubleClick Search (DS):
- Add account information to DS.
After you add account information, DS automatically examines the account’s settings, ads, keywords, and other data for any potential problems. Then DS outputs the results in an diagnostics report.
- Review the diagnostics report and fix any problems.
After you fixed the problems, you can synchronize your account with DS and can use DS to manage and report on the account.
STEP 1: Add account information to DS
Navigate to the advertiser that will contain the engine account.
Near the bottom of the left nav, click the Advertiser settings tab.
The advertiser's settings appear, along with a list of its engine accounts.
Click the + New engine account button in the toolbar above the engine accounts table.
The settings panel for the new engine account appears.
Select the type of engine.
DoubleClick Search will display engine details based on this selection.
- Name your DoubleClick Search account.
- Choose a name that will allow you to quickly identify the account.
- If you have a naming convention in other systems (e.g., MCC, billing), using the same convention here would help account matching (for auditing or billing).
Select the date you want the account to be active in the Launch date field.
- Enter the related engine details:
- Google AdWords
- AdWords customer ID: You can find this value in the upper righthand corner of the AdWords UI.
- Bing Ads
- Bing Ads account number: To find this value in Bing Ads, click the Home tab. The account ID is in the dropdown.
- Username/Password: Please verify that this is a working Bing Ads account username/password combination that is used exclusively for DoubleClick Search. If you don’t know these values, please contact Microsoft support.
- Yahoo! Search Marketing
- Yahoo! account ID: Learn more about Yahoo! accounts at the Yahoo! help .
- Username/Password: Please verify that the username/password combination is functional. The combination should be exclusive to this account and used only for DoubleClick Search. Also, this should be at the account manager level. If you don’t know these values, please contact Yahoo! support.
- Master account ID: Please retrieve this ID from your Yahoo! account.
Yahoo! JAPAN: Currently in beta release. Learn how to set up a Yahoo! JAPAN account.
- Currency: Enter the currency from the engine.
- Time zone: Enter the time zone from the engine.
- Google AdWords
In the Sync details section, you can set up a schedule to sync the account in DS.
In the Landing page URL details section, you can modify the types of parameters that will appear in clickserver URLs.
Click Save and run diagnostics.For AdWords accounts: If the AdWords account is not linked to the DoubleClick Search MCC account, you'll need to go into AdWords and accept the MCC request, and then go back to DoubleClick Search and click Save again. Learn more.
DS displays the diagnostics report page, which indicates the progress DS is making towards generating the report. If you navigate to the advertiser and click the Engine accounts tab, you’ll see the new account in the engine account table. The icon indicates that DS is generating the diagnostics report.
STEP 2: Review the diagnostics report
To review the report and fix problems:
After DS generates the diagnostics report, you can open the report by doing the following:
- Navigate to the advertiser that contains the new engine account.
- Click the Engine accounts tab.
- Click on the new account in the account list.
If you haven't already clicked Start syncing account for this engine account, the diagnostics report displays.
Review each message and fix the problem. The messages provide instructions for fixing the problems.These icons tell you the severity of each message in the diagnostics report:
- - an error that you'll need to fix on the engine before you can sync.
- - a potential problem that you should review, but can wait until after you sync.
- - an informational item for you to review.
Some messages display a Download spreadsheet button. Click the button to see which items caused the message to display.
Click Regenerate onboarding report.
DS re-examines the account and generates a new diagnostics report.
Open the new report and do one of the following:
- Address any remaining issues and click Regenerate onboarding report.
- If you’re ready to synchronize (and if you’ve addressed all of the errors at least), click Start syncing account.
The account list displays next to your account until synchronization completes.After you click Start syncing account, you won't be able to view the diagnostics report for this engine account again.
After the synchronization completes, you can use DS to manage and report on the account.