/drive/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Google Drive has become so so SLOW
So during the last year or so Google Drive has become VERY slow. It's slow to load, slow to respond to moving between folders, slower to search, and slow to create new documents. 

Note: I have made no change in my browser, OS, or installed any extensions. This is an objective observation as someone who has been using Drive and mostly Google Docs over the last 10 years. 

If anyone also found this to be the case, please comment or up-vote (if possible here) so that someone might pass this along to the Google Drive team. 

This is the first time in 10 years that I am considering moving my files to a different online solution since I am getting frustrated. As someone that relies and uses Google Docs every day and for most of my day, I can't keep being annoyed by slowed down workflow. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Thank you!
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (21)
Relevant Answer
I am being asked to upgrade my storage. (I've used 93 percent of what's available in the free plan.) While I get that being "almost full" could be what's slowing it, I don't know that for sure. And, well, I haven't reached the limit. While I love using Drive, I hesitate to start paying for more storage without any guarantees that the $2 a month will improve my experience. I have a really good computer and a really good internet connection. There should be nothing on my end causing delays in loading. Yet I get them every time I try to open Drive now. (I also have trouble trying to switch between Gmail accounts, but one issue at a time.) But trying to find a live person or an email address to which I can send questions about it has proved impossible so far. (Unless, of course, I pay for the privilege. Which kind of defeats the purpose when my question is, "Will paying for (the privilege of) more storage improve my experience?" I'm fine with paying -- if the quality returns to normal. If I'm paying and it remains this iffy about loading? Not so much.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So f*cking SLOW! My Drive has gotten a little disorganized this last year, lots of files in the home folder, So I'm trying to move them to the folders they belong in. I'll move one file, The file browser window opens just fine, I move the file to the destination folder, and then I move on to the next file. The second or third file I try to move is usually when the file browser window starts to hang. (one moment while I go check up on it). Yep, still loading. It's been loading while I googled the issue, while I revised my search, while I read the original comment, and the whole time I've been typing. BTW, 12/6/10 commenter, I'm actually paying for the 100 GB plan. Doesn't seem to make a difference. And 2 edits and reposts later, still loading.
update: If I close the tab when the page starts acting up, and then reopen drive, I can get it to behave for a couple of more moves. Ok, not that big a deal since my gmail is my home page, I'm always signed in, and all I have to do is select the more apps option and then drive. But I feel like I shouldn't have to. But, it's 100GB for 1.99, I guess I shouldn't be a chooser. But I'm still considering drop box, Where I wont' have to split up my docs on onedrive and my media on google drive. I think 9.95 for 500 GB is a good deal.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem, my Drive has gotten a mess just because selecting few images at a time or moving them is almost impossible. Drive cannot respond to my actions as quick and sometimes after dropping files to a folder I have to wait 15 second just looking at a screen before those files finally move.
I have used 12 out of 15 GB and if it turns out that drive starts slowing down when I'm close to reaching my max storage capacity, then it sucks. Why even bother put 15GB limit if I can't work in Drive since I reached 10GB.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The same thing with me!

I was using OneDrive and it was much faster!!, it was my mistake that I switched :Ss
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can barely load the page.  it's not the internet connection, or my device.  google drive, what happened??
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is just my observation, but I use Google Drive personally (with paid for extra storage) and commercially (G Suite for business).  Uploading/downloading and general use is quicker on the business service.  It's as if Google dedicate less processing power/bandwidth to personal customers.  Having said that, the business service really doesn't like big files or folders with large numbers of files.  Spinning buffering wheel is quite common whilst loading page.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My experience is general the same but with different situation. I have rather terrible internet and so have to deal with frustrating slow loads on various things. However after you deal with this for a while, you get used to it, and understand what level of speed things should and have been moving at.

Google Drive has almost become unusable. I can't use the browser GUI, AT ALL since it takes too much of my already poor internet, and then just fails to load. Says I am offline etc. I have to navigate my files within the sync'd folder on my desktop. Loading them from there has to be repeated several times before they load 1 or 2 page documents fully.

Honestly I call into question google's efficiency, and what it is doing with so much extra data traveling the connection, since I can load these tiny files right after this on another service without any of these issues. I have absolutely no faith this will be fixed, and will be transferring to another service even if I have to pay for it soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It is becoming almost unusable, previews take 5+ minutes to load or error out completely, sheets are doing the same thing...having to wait 45 second to 11 minutes to click on a different cell in a spreadsheet. What is going on? These are the same documents I've been using for years without any issue but it's been getting worse since mid-January.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I feel like Google is starting to have cracks in it's empire. What was once a company you could ALWAYS rely on to deliver, is slowly starting to crumble. I moved all my files from Dropbox to Drive and AM SO disappointed in the service.  It takes forever to do anything...it's essentially useless. For example I want to download a zip file. It takes like 10minutes (if I am lucky) to zip it, then it is hard to find the download link. Why is GOOGLE under delivering for such an important part of internet life?!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you need support to resolve an issue kindly start a new thread of your own.
It is easier to provide one to one assistance with troubleshooting an issue.
Do  note it is possible to experience the same issue but have very different answers for resolving a problem.

The reason  for this is due to the many different device  setups, Operating Systems,  Internet provider bandwidth, mobile or desktop and etc...

Many Thanks,
Ms. Drasby
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/drive/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic