/drive/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Google One Backup Not Working
Good morning,

2 days ago I upgraded to a brand new Samsung S21 5G.  Everything is working flawlessly with the exception of the Google One backup for phone apps, settings, etc.

With that being said backup to Samsung Cloud works FLAWLESSLY.  As does backup to Google Photos.

However, whenever I try to manually force a backup to Google One/Google Drive it tells me that I should try again later.  At no point has it ever successfully completed its own automatic backup, either, as it says it will always automatically backup if charging and connected to WIFI for at least 2 hours uninterrupted.

Please let me know what I should try next.  I have searched for this problem and found some older articles from 1-2 years ago that talk about the backup button being greyed out and unable to be pressed but that is not my issue at all.  Thank you.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (1)
Relevant Answer
@penelope I can now confirm that the issue still persists. The backup remained as explained above for a few days and then has reverted back to unable to backup when lockscreen security is enabled. My backup file is also deleted from my Google drive and Google 1 app asks me to backup for the first time although it is greyed out.
marked this as an answer
All Replies (45)
Hanging out since 2017
Relevant Answer
Blaine Bugaski, some aspects of Samsung Cloud is being discontinued (https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/changes-to-gallery-sync-samsung-cloud-drive-and-premium-storage/) so let's see what we can find out about backing up to Google Drive so you can save your information. 

What is the Android version number?
What is the Google Drive version number? 
Any way to screenshot the error message for us? 

Because some aspects of Samsung Cloud is becoming discontinued I would recommend you save that data and see if you can upload that into Google Drive.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Penelope,

Thanks for the reply.  Android version is 11, fully updated and last checked September 3, 2021.  Google Drive version is 2.21.310.1.90, fully updated with no updates available.

I am attaching a screenshot that I just took on my phone when I tried to force a backup just now.

Other than that syncing with Google Drive seems to work fine, it's solely the backup that fails.  Also my Google Drive is 0% full, I have never put anything on there as my old Galaxy S6 phone was still using the Samsung Cloud.  However my Google Drive account is setup and functioning correctly with the exception of the backup abilities.  Thank you.
marked this as an answer
Hanging out since 2017
Relevant Answer
Blaine, thank you so much for the information. I have asked my team.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Penelope,

Thank you, I do appreciate your quick responses and follow up!  Hopefully this will be able to be resolved soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If have the same issue with a Samsung S20+ phone.  Backup using google drive gives me a error that the goodle drive backuo could not be completed and try again later.  It is also prompting me to enter my sceen unlock password before performing the goodle  drive backup which I never had to do in the past.
marked this as an answer
Hanging out since 2017
Relevant Answer
Hey Emil, thank you for writing in! Do you have the same Android version number and Google Drive version number as Blaine? 

Does Google Photos backup and sync and Samsung Cloud backup work for you? 

If the Samsung Cloud backup is working I would recommend you download that data and upload to Google Drive so that you do have something in Google Drive in the meantime. If you need help regarding downloading Samsung Cloud backup, let me know. 
marked this as an answer
Hanging out since 2017
Relevant Answer
Blaine, you are welcome! It is a holiday weekend in USA so I am not sure what the earliest I might hear back from my colleagues concerning this but if you don't hear anything from me within 72 hours, please feel free to write another comment on this thread. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Penelope,

Samsung cloud doesn't appear to backup phone settings and that isn't offered in the backup settings for Samsung Cloud unlike the Google One/Google Drive Backup, so yes I do have something temporarily but not everything I should have in the event of catastrophic failure.

Nonetheless, Google photos sync also works as does the Samsung Cloud backup.  Both sync perfectly.  As do my contacts and calendars, they are syncing correctly with Google and Samsung accounts simultaneously.

It is only Google One/Google Drive backup that has never run automatically as it should and also produces the error that I showed you with the screen capture when trying to force it manually.

Thank you for your help and I do understand the delay with Labor Day tomorrow.  Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back in the future!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Emil G.,

When trying to manually force Google One/Google Drive to backup, I too am asked to input my phone unlock passcode.  I use fingerprint, biometric, and passcode as my security options but it asks me to input the passcode only.  Sounds very similar to your issue if not identical!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
About solution of the same problem on Xiaomi Redmi Note 8PRO. 
First to note: I did not change any permissions, did not disable any security measures.
I tried to run "Backup manually" on backup settings page several times; it kind of worked without errors but the status did not change either (still No data backed up). I tried to keep screen unlocked with a primitive method - just touching the screen.  Still No data backed up. Maybe it just did not refresh the status on the phone (I did not check from one.google.com website).
Anyway, I opened the Google One app and under backup settings (cannot tell exact names in English as my Android is in Estonian) found list of options like Device data, MMS messages, etc, and option to Backup Now. It launched backup, but to my surprise, when I returned to original Backup settings (not Google One) it already displayed that backup has been completed some minutes ago.
I'm not sure if launching the backup from Google One app triggered the backup finally or it was completed alreay before. 
I cannot confirm yet, if the backup continues to work on background.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/drive/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic