/drive/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Disable Google Drive drive letter
How can I completely prevent the new Google Drive app from mounting the Google Drive folder as a virtual drive? As in, stop it from mounting to any drive letter. This "feature" is pretty useless for me and just clutters up explorer.

Unrelated, but Backup and Sync had an option to disable syncing all USB devices. Now it must be done one by one as they are connected. How can I disable syncing for all USB devices, current and future?

So far the new app seems to be exclusively be a downgrade in functionality. Not happy.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (326)
Relevant Answer
It's also adding a new quick access link on every launch, and even deleting the entry results in it just being added back in.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I swapped over a few minutes ago and it seems to just be removing all customization and cluttering up things.

Please let us manage our own computers!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
That isn't a helpful answer. I've been in I.T. as a director for more than 15 years and this new Drive circumvents nearly all non-registry hack ways of hiding a drive. Encouraging people to edit things that could potentially brick their system is not a good answer to this horrible "feature".
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I really like that the mounted virtual drive doesn't even point to the actual folder, but instead to a shortcut to the folder.

Anyways, from the business-side I'm really glad we have no plans to utilize Gdrive, and on a personal-side this was the last kick I needed to move to an alternative service.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Have the same issue, this forced 'feature' is dumb. The old backup and sync doesn't require it and it's working fine.

Anyone want to get rid of it please click the feedback icon to report it!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I updated to Google Drive Desktop a few hours ago, had the same issue with the extra drive and also the pinned quick access zombie google drive that kept coming back after I deleted it every restart. I did some quick research and found another online storage that gave me 20GB of free storage (you can find that for yourself, not sure what the moderation rules are around here - my first day on google help). Now I have the same functionality of the old gdrive backup and sync, more storage, better privacy. Copied and pasted my entire google drive into that online storage. I've been using google drive for years, so way to go Google. Now I just need to ditch gmail, and I'll be outta here :/
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ever since Google Drive forced my to use a mirrored drive letter, my open & save dialog explorer has been lagging for seconds every time. It's driving me crazy (especially after spending 2000+ euro's on a fast machine and connecting to a fiber-connection).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Agree with everyone else here, this is so dumb and give the impression you have no one thinking about the UX here at all... was this even beta tested with real users? I don't need 3 more useless ways to access my Google Drive folder cluttering everything, especially when it treats me like a handicapped iPhone user that isn't allowed to actually change things on their device.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seriously!?  The forced drive letter doesn't even take you into your drive but dumps you one level higher? (shakes head)

Someone will hack it sooner or later and let us turn it off.  When are software vendors going to learn that the key to customer happiness is customization?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is stupid. I don't want to be forced to have a mounted drive letter. I've been using Backup & Sync for years without having that mounted to a drive letter. Being forced to upgrade to this new program that insists on mounting to a drive letter will just make me look for something else to use.

The stupidest part is that the mounted drive letter doesn't even point to the root folder of my GDrive it points to an empty folder that contains a shortcut to my GDrive.. Who greenlit that?? Who programmed it to do this and thought "yes this is good" ??
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This Google Drive is actually worse than the Google Drive that Backup and Sync force 'replaced.' 

Unironically, I'm about to Google 'G Suite Replacements'
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Complete agreement here.

I have a dedicated folder on my PC for Google Drive and use mirroring.

Now I have to have a drive letter assigned that just directs back to the folder I already have and have been using for years. Utterly stupid.
Really disappointed in this new Drive for Desktop. Its like something Microsoft would create.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Please let me disable this, this is just awful.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've been going back and forth with Google support for a few days, since I installed Drive for desktop and found out about this utterly useless and stupid "feature" -- as they've been calling it since day one.

So far, I only got either generic answers telling me how to change the mounted drive's letter or an answer telling me they understand what I'm complaining about and that there is no way to disable this "feature".

I keep asking what is the actual purpose of having a mounted drive with a shortcut to the actual folder that I've been using for years and works without a hitch. They keep sending me generic usage instructions for the app.

In their official support page, they state that the virtual drive is used to "stream files". I already told them I don't use that option and use "mirror files" instead. They do not seem to get what I mean, as their answer is "the mounted drive lets you access your files even without an internet connection" -- which was already the case with my normal Google Drive folder.

I already submitted my feedback through the app. Everyone should do the same.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
same here. I am uninstalling and rolling back
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@User1230...  There is no Google Drive Desktop rollback option to rollback to the old Backup & Sync.  Once you've upgraded to Google Drive for Desktop, you can't reinstall Backup & Sync.  Backup & Sync will install, but when run throws a popup: B&S no longer available, use Google Drive Desktop...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here - Changed to "Google Drive for Desktop" yesterday. And really want to delete the "virtual drive".
It just messes up my explorer and it's not helpfull in any way. It's just a link to the synced folder. But the folder is pinned on the left side for quick access.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Try Winaero Tweaker. It helped me to remove the G: from Explorer's folder pane

And I agreen with your remarks: the new Google desktop drive is cumbersome and messes around with the Windows API too much.

Seems to be working a tad faster though, but me thinks it's a step away from an open source and transparent software solution.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The new sync client is awful. I removed it and now make all my cloud backups manually using a Browser Window opened to the Drive website.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pls just make "Google Drive drive letter" optional. At least in "Mirror Files" mode, as i guess it might be necessary  in "Stream files".
And yes, stop returning it to "Quick Access". Why would I need it if I can just pin directly to "My Drive" as I did for ages with backup & sync.....

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Typical google crap

Uninstalled
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If I don't access files through the virtual drive letter, they don't update in the cloud.  Updates to their original C:...Google Drive.. path aren't synced anymore. 

Can anyone else still sync updates to files in the C:..Google Drive.. path?
Is it just me that's broken? (on the C: path)

Example:
Original B&S file path: C:\Users\Larry\Google Drive\LarryShr\PC-Shr\CfgL5\CfgL5.rtf
  -updated silently in the background with Backup and Sync
  -updates here no longer synced to cloud
Google Drive for Desktop path: I:\My Drive\LarryShr\PC-Shr\CfgL5\CfgL5.rtf
  -new Drive for Desktop path
  -only updates under the new I:\My Drive path are synced.

All my shortcuts and links that reference C:..Google Drive.. are now broken.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I just installed the new Google Drive desktop client (Win 10 pro) and the new virtual drive it creates triggers a non-compliance  issue with ClearPass OnGuard that my employer requires (because the drive is not encrypted) and thus prevents me from connecting to their VPN.

As a workaround, is there a way to encrypt this virtual drive? It doesn't show up in my disk manager / bitlocker.

Uninstalling for now.  And can't seem to reinstall Backup and Sync as others have reported.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
THIS IS HORRIBLE. Let us remove G letter and Context Menu. I'm about to uninstall this crap and go with another cloud provider.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too just did the install, because of the constant pop ups telling me to do so, stopping after just one account. 
Not sure if Google outsourced this to MS, remember the constant badgering to upgrade to Win10. For no benefit.
This Virtual Drive Letter, as stated so often above, is stupid.
My desktop drives, internal/external, have already been sliced and diced the way I like it. I am definitely not a PC with only C: (OS), D: (DVD) and E: (Data) person. 
This PC is used by the whole family. Everyone is home now with Work From Home and E-Learning during Covid-19. So when everyone is logged on, with there Private/Professional and Shared Family Google Accounts, How many Virtual Drives are going to be sucked up and allocated? That is a potential of 12 Drive Letters. So come and sit down to plug in some Memory Cards from the Camera or my wife wants to put some images on a Memory stick for printing and guess what we've run out of Drive Letters.  

Please Google, just leave me with my allocated folders for each Google Drive Account and give me the option to NULL the Virtual Drive Letter in the Preferences.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not being able to disable the drive is so useless! But even worse is when you try to change the drive letter its random which drives display in the selection box, what I meant is that sometimes you get to choose between 5 different letters and other times its only 3.
Also you cant turn off the always on top feature as well.

So many bugs!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have a lot of drives and cannot spare a drive letter for Google Drive. I will abandon Google Drive for an alternative soon if you don't provide an option to disable drive letter mapping.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not a solution per se but might be useful to get the "junction" tool from sysinternals and then do as below (where the first path is your "old" google drive folder and the second is the new version stuff) -- you'll still retain the drive letter but you'll be able to directly manipulate things in the old folder:

​junction64 "d:\Google Drive" "g:\My Drive"

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google, realy I don't understand this decision. I love having clean my computer and my interface, I work a lot whit Google, in all your solutions. But the restriction for only having 3 account sync, I barely understand it. Please give an option to get ripped of this drive letter. We don't asked for it, it's make the use of your solution a pain in the *ss. Please google give us a solution to this sh*t.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What the HELL!!!

This really SUCKS.

I hope this accurately describes how much i like this feature that i can not turn off.....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
uninstalling and moving to onedrive in 3... 2...

it's ironic to see google replicating microsoft errors so worst that i find it better to go back to them. :/
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Fix this crap NOW, Google! This software is so intrusive! It's MY computer and I want it set up the way I like it!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This phantom drive letter is a complete screw-up by Google.  It is screwing up the naming of my removable drives.  I am going to unistall and move to another free cloud storage solution.  There are plenty of alternatives that will not screw up my personal style of computer management.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
REMOVE THE VIRTUAL DRIVE!! Google has really stupid people working for them. Really stupid. They don't care that they are messing up my other drive letters. Stupid!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What utter utter bulls**t is this?!

Every account I add creates ANOTHER virtual drive?!

Whelp...that'll be me removing all Google Drive services then.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Unbelievable that there's no option to choose new virtual drive or an existing folder.
Please fix this nonsense!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Another crap "feature"

Bring back 2 way photos sync, and drop this stupid "shortcut" to nowhere
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Give us a way to disable this mounting, it's unnecessary for most of us.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Disk Management and DiskPart takes a lot longer to load after this stupid Google Drive Letter mounted.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This crap they have released is so buggy, and the drive letter mapping is pointless, especially since it only opens to give you a link to the drive folder. nonsense. And it keeps complaining about certain files but gives no option as to how to reconcile them or get rid of them. And when there is a whole list of issues, you must go through them one by one. Why isn't there a "retry all"? Total crap and I will be moving my files to OneDrive.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Everything, absolutely "everything" that everyone else has stated in all previous comments.  I've been forced to uninstall the latest and 'greatest' "GoogleDrive" and I am also seeking an appropriate alternative...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I hope a solution will be found soon
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just contributing to say I'm also heavily annoyed by Google Drive assigning drive letters and adding links into Quick Access over and over again. I don't want that. Google, let your users decide themselves about this. Have also send feedback through the app as suggested by others. Seems that's a good idea and everyone please do so too.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Just one more of the ways that Google completely destroyed their desktop Drive client.  Backup and Sync may have been clunky, but it was at least usable.  No one way syncing, no ability to exclude file types, forced mounted drive, it's just utter Garbage. They lost the $50/ month I've been paying them, well at least as soon as these terabytes of files are done downloading and onto an alternative service (looking at iDrive). Seriously pissed to be wasting so much time due to Google's incompetence.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"
(same as above- It's only a shortcut, why make a fake drive out of it?)

my pc, my choice!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is just stupid. If I click on remove from Quick Access it should be removed and not reappear after I restart my PC. GOOGLE PLEASE FIX THIS!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is the DUMBEST feature ever introduced with a very BIG security risk for end users. I DO NOT want my backup mapped as a drive on my computer. This is DUMB and INSANE. Google team needs to be fired!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My "This PC" computer already congested with quite many drives.
Now it's added with Google Drive (H) :
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree, these new 'features' are terrible. 1) This drive that is nothing but a shortcut to the folder I already have pinned, and 2) Inability to disallow prompting to sync every external disk I attach to my computer, lie there was with Backup and Sync, now it will bother me with every new disk forever. I didn't sign up for this! Honestly looking into OneDrive now, or, possibly, starting the big process of weaning myself off Big Tech's services.  They ALL keep making EVERYTHING worse, ALL THE TIME! This is not good for us, we need to not rely on them any more, they cannot be relied on any more.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Besides the unwanted drive letter, I had the google drive app place two separate drives folders on one my laptops today. It's double my storage allotment. The google drive app updated a day ago & gave me a welcome to google drive tour like I had just installed it! Even know I didn't.........what a pain!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The new google drive app forced on us is terrible! I am have multiple issues with drive letters & where I can set my drive folder to be. The app wants it on C: drive. My C: drive is not large enough. I placed my google drive folder on another internal drive & directed the app to it. It used that drive & created another one on my C: drive anyway. OUCH!

Back Up & Sync just worked!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
New folder
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
After Google's disaster, I ended up using Insync.
You can sync multiple Google Drive accounts and it won't create volumes at its own will.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yet another linked work around, like the 8/18 junction64 suggestion, but with Windows commands.  
Where: My Backup & Sync root was C:\users\Larry\Google Drive;  - your location will vary

Rename the Backup & Sync root:
Windows (file) explorer: go ~Larry\; rename "Google Drive" to "Google DriveBS"
  - any alternate name will do

Get a 'cmd' Admin terminal window to run mklink;
press: WinKey+R - opens Windows Run popup
enter cmd; run as admin with: Ctrl+Shift+Enter, allow updates 
  - opens a cmd command line terminal window as Administrator
cmd> cd c:\users\larry  -  Change directory to where your renamed B&S Google Drive folder is
cmd> mklink /d "Google Drive" "I:\My Drive" - use old drive names and letter for your configuration
displays: symbolic link created for "Google Drive" <<===>> I:\My Drive

Done; references to the old B&S Google Drive root now resolve to the Drive for Desktop virtual drive-letter tree. Updates to the old B&S files will appear to be in the old location, but are being updated in the virtual drive.

The default cache folder is in AppDataLocal - under your account and probably on C:.  The cache size can be as large as your backup.  If there is not enough space,  use Preferences>Settings to choose another location.  The cache folder is the internal implementation supporting the DriveLetter virtual drive.  For me the AppDataLocal cache is under C:\Users\Larry\AppData\Local\Google\DriveFS\
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I understand the possibilities for this, but It is useless that we have files on our drive and the virtual disk with a link to them?????? WTF?  This could boost performance for streaming purposes, but really, we cannot disable it? A fucking waste or resources and it doesn't add any benefit, speed? when files are on my SSD?

I noticed other companies have similar shit.  Norton Backup creates a virtual disk, too.  But I can turn that off.  I do not need OneDrive, Google Drive, Norton Backup, and all the competition for my files.

There is no fucking need to "boost" speed to access these files. I fucking uninstalled this shit, too!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Fuck'n ay man... please let my phone sort it so that I can just get the most reliable ways to get any information which will help make it easier for me to work easily for myself
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also this letter prevent a program like Win32DiskImager.exe from running.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
And if you have multiple account and add them to Drive For Desktop, it will create multiple virtual drive inside "This PC" folder of Windows 10.

I use it to mirror the files/folders in Drive tab of the Google Drive to my specific folder in my local computer (or vice versa), so I don't need that virtual drive in "This PC" folder.

Old Backup and Sync didn't do that (creating a virtual drive).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I found if you change the local cached files directory to another drive, then enable mirroring. This will download all of your files to that chosen cache drive/folder. I agree with the fact that we need a way to disable the drive letter mapping. I install this on Windows server and share out Google drive with certain permissions on my home network. I do not use this feature. Even a registry override would be acceptable.

Edit: I just noticed the cache is unreadable. This must be the reason for the requirement of the drive letter. Cache stores files properly on the separate drive if you change it but you will need to mapped drive it makes in order to read your files.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This virtual drive thing is so annoying! I've tried everything to remove it!
So much that I somehow mixed up 2 drive accounts and lost all my data, lucky I had a backup, but the point is I DONT WANT IT!

Let me choose where to store my data, and ill allocate it to where ever I want
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Oh, wow Google. You did your homework...
Just removing the unpleasant meme from this thread is not what you want. You want me to NOT POST IT AGAIN. 
To archive that you made the post look like it is still there, if I am logged into my Google account.
But if I am logged out - it is hidden. So other users can not see it...  nice, nice...

That is realy next level user manipulation.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/drive/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic